It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
(male)

pizzav HB User
Question Neuropathy & Yogurt?

I wonder if you can help me please?

I have been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, having had symptoms for over four years. I am 57, male and have been a vegetarian for more than 35 years. About eight years ago, I dropped dairy produce from my diet in support of my wife who had chosen a diary free diet for other reasons. Aside from the neuropathy, I am in excellent general health and very active and fit.

My doctor, and the neurologist to whom I have been referred do not seem to be very interested in my diet yet it seems to me that it is the thing which sets me apart from the majority. I have had numerous tests, none showing any causative factors, only two of which were diet related—calcium and B12, both of which are normal. I have begun to take a vitamin B complex as a precautionary supplement anyway.

The progression of the neuropathy has been slow initially, affecting my feet and lower legs, and then seemed to accelerate in the last four months, affecting my hands, face and virtually everywhere else at some point. However, it has stopped in its tracks, I have had almost no problems with my hands for two weeks, it has practically vanished from my face and is receding down my legs.

What has changed? Just one thing, four weeks ago I began eating yogurt again.

This seems rather a large coincidence but I need to be sure it is a real effect. I was wondering if you could help me by pointing me towards resources that might help me identify precisely what there could be in yogurt which might have this result? Conversely, is there something in yogurt whose absence might trigger neuropathy?

I have done internet searches but cannot nail down the relevant information.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

don'tlikecold HB User
Re: Neuropathy & Yogurt?

If you go back and review some of the posts by 6foot3, you will see that much research shows the benefits of keeping a tight control on blood sugar. Due to your diet, you are probably already doing a good job with that. In some of the other articles I have had read, some people are having really good results with Glutamine and yogurt.

I've also seen by the posts that some doctors are more holistic than others. My family doctor is an osteopath and therefore, more interested in dietary factors but my neurologist is open-minded and thinks that any non-drug treatments a patient may find on their own that work, are just great.

If yogurt is helping you, I would say go with it by all means! It may be that it helps others too so please do post anything you find that helps. I have increased the amount of yogurt I eat and am hoping this addition will be beneficial, especially after reading your post.

Susan

Old 07-06-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
(male)

suggus HB User

[QUOTE=pizzav]
I have been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, having had symptoms for over four years. I am 57, male

Piz, you are fairly new in this game. I ate everything that did not eat me yet neuropathy got me! I even made my own yogurt when neuropathy showed up.

I have begun to take a vitamin B complex as a precautionary supplement anyway.

It looks like I'm becoming the unauthorized poster-child for B12 injections. I took B12 all of my life. As my neuropathy pregressed I switched to sublingual, 2000mcg per day. Yet when I started the B12 shots I did feel a difference. I started out with 1000mcgs per week then was cut down to 1000mcgs every other week. Doctors are 'practicing' so I took myself to 500mcgs per week which feels much better.

The progression of the neuropathy has been slow initially, affecting my feet and lower legs, and then seemed to accelerate in the last four months, affecting my hands, face and virtually everywhere else at some point.

Yeah, the feet and legs were slow to go. When it started into my hands and arms it did speed up and developed over one year. I think the B12 shots and the Metafolin has stoped the spread or stoped it, it's so hard to tell.

However, it has stopped in its tracks, I have had almost no problems with my hands for two weeks, it has practically vanished from my face and is receding down my legs.

What has changed? Just one thing, four weeks ago I began eating yogurt again.

Someone mentioned sugar. Do you eat yogurt with sugar in it?

I do not have diabetes but I am a life long sugar addict. I have cut out as much sugar as possible but times when I eat too much I can feel the pain in my feet ease up !!!!!!!! some.
I think there is an undiscovered link between sugar and neuropathy, and undetectable diabetes.

I have had my own breakthrough cures for neuropathy only for the condition to continue with it's progression. I hope you have found yours.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
(female)

Shimz HB User

um i seriously doubt it

Last edited by Shimz; 07-10-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
(male)

Schumacher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzav
...four weeks ago I began eating yogurt again.
Very interesting. I'm just curious: What kind of yogurt have you been eating (nonfat or whole milk)? Have you been eating yogurt every day for the past four weeks, or just occasionally? And roughly how much do you eat at a time? Thanks.

Closed Thread