It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

karalis HB User
How accurate is the EMG/NCV

I've had the tingling hands and feet for two weeks. Had the test. During the test the doc says he doesn't see any nerve damage. Will send the completed report to my doc in a few days. So what can it be? Contusion? I think he says that just goes away, but my left lower leg and right lower arm are bothersome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

don'tlikecold HB User
Re: How accurate is the EMG/NCV

That's an interesting question. They are fairly accurate in detecting damage but there is room for human error. For example, EMG results can be altered if the patient uses any creams or lotions the day of the test. Both tests rely on someone who is skilled in interpreting the results. They are, however, limited as to the how many conditions they can diagnose.

Your doctor will probably start looking for another condition(s) that is causing your problems. Some medical conditions such as diabetes, are easily diagnosed while others take more time and more tests. And for some, no known cause is found.

Good luck to you!

Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: How accurate is the EMG/NCV

The one thing that alot of people don't know about this test is that it will only pick up actual damage to nerves not things like intermittant compression caused by like bone spurs or even herniations,just actual damage,so you can have all kinds of pain and symptoms of what appears to be actual dmage but it would not actually show up on this particualr test.

my very first EMG showed absolutley no problems what so ever despite the horrid pain i was having in my neck and upper back,along with intermittant tingling and numbness in two fingers from a herniated c 6-7.but the MRI was a whole different story,this did show the problem.this test is used only to see if there has been any sort of permanent damge to a given nerve or if something is actually fully or partially compressing it.this would show up as a "latency" in the nerve signal from the point where the needle goes in in the time it takes that pain signal to go from the point of contact to the brain and back again,thats all.just because this test came back 'normal" really means nothing more than no actual permanent damage or compression on a nerve that was tested.thats it pretty much.luckily we have things like MRI to show real actual issues that can be wrong in the spine.Marcia

Closed Thread