It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
(male)

KenFL HB User
What kind of shoes best for neuropathy?

Would a "beefier" shoe with a thick, cushioned sole be better for someone with peripheral neuropathy or a shoe with a narrower sole that might provide better "feel" of the ground? Thanks...

Old 08-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

don'tlikecold HB User
Re: What kind of shoes best for neuropathy?

Try the shoes on and see which feels more comfortable. I prefer a sturdier shoe though I do have some Birkenstocks that I wear. My most comfortable shoes are Clarks. They don't sell them where I live but I ordered them online. I was wary about doing that but they have a return policy. Those are the best shoes for comfort. They sell men's shoes also so you might try those.

Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

RozIA HB User

Hard soles . Believe it or not if you go for comfort it will not help. I wear a good NB tennis shoe and a hard sole bedroom slipper and my feet dont hurt , the bottoms that is .

Old 08-05-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

I wear the new balance
I find they are the most comfortable shoes for my feet

Old 08-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
(female)

Petesmom HB User

Put your tootsies in a pair of Crocs and you won't be disappointed. They only weigh 6 ounces, and are so comfortable. I buy them at Dillards, and they cost between 30 and 40 bucks.

Good Luck,
Jill

Old 08-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

RozIA HB User

What are Cros ??????? some people dont have a Dillards . I think you cant go wrong with NB . The other shoes mentioned never heard of them .Birkebnstocks and Clarks what are they ?

GO TO Joes new blance outlet online and you can get real cheap

Last edited by RozIA; 08-06-2006 at 09:59 AM.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
(female)

Petesmom HB User

"Crocs" are light-weight shoes that come in a variety of wild colors. Dillards is a department store like Macys. You can also get an off-brand (knock-off) at
Rack Room Shoes or Walmart for alot less (and you get what you pay for).
Good Luck,
Jill

Old 08-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
(male)

KenFL HB User

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

I bought (for my mother) a pair of tennis shoes. The soles are rubber which I think will provide better traction and footing and so hopefully more safety. She tried on a pair of crocs but her size was in-between and couldn't find one that fit. We'll see how she likes the feel of the tennis shoes after wearing them for awhile and if too hard, maybe try a running shoe.

Thanks again... K.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
(female)

OTabby HB User
Cool Re: What kind of shoes best for neuropathy?

I live in south florida,so I hate wearing closed n shoes.I do like Earth-Shoe sold at Wal-Mart,it's a sandal that holds the foot snug,and most are adjustable with velcro or extra notches. Since I have fractured 3 toes in one month,I better start wearing what I preach.These shoes are quite stylish to the opposite. Any shoe I wear that is too soft,I lose my balance on,also,no heels for me anymore. Take Care Jean

Old 08-13-2006, 07:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

I have sever neuropathy in both of my feel with knumb toes on 8 of my toes i have bone spurs on the big toe and a tendon problem on the top of one of my feet. in april when my daughter got married i bought a pair of pumps after 5 min my foot collapse in it so i ended up having towear tennis shoes to her wedding i found after her wedding the earth shoes at walmart they have the sandle backs and they have a heel back style let me tell u they are a life saver for me and i really would recommend them to anyone they are so comfortable and i dont have a balace prob when wearing them.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
(female)

booemmy HB User

Depends on where your Neuropathy is.Mine is on the top and side of my left foot, and both of my feet burn like their hot,so I wear sandals all the time or go barefoot.boo

Old 08-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

don'tlikecold HB User

Boo, I did too for quite some time. I was lucky that many days we don't have "visitors" at work so I could go barefoot on the carpet. The Birkenstocks (or the cheaper version at Walmart as delrae mentioned) are quite comfortable but wearing a footie type sock kept the shoe from that teeth-grinding rubbing on the skin that is so dreadful. I found that helped with the Clarks too. Even going barefoot or wearing sandals can be annoying when pant tops rub on the skin.

I'm happy to say that with time and treatment, the sensitivity has decreased quite a bit. I no longer jump out of my skin when the sheet touches my feet. I hope your sensitivity gets better for you, too.

Susan

Closed Thread