It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
6 foot 3 I need advice

I am trying to take a different approach to dealing with chronic pain and MS.I'm tired off all the synthetic drugs and would like a more natural approach.I don't want to be on all these meds(zanaflex,baclofen,quinine,valuim vicidon and oxy) for the rest of my life.I have went to pain coping clinic,some of it helps,I do physical therapy.
I do take folic acid,alpha liphoric acid,multi-vitamin,folic acid,b12,b complex and L-glutimine,not recommened with MS,but has helped leaky gut.I'm slowly cutting out caffine and all aspertane.Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: 6 foot 3 I need advice

Hey Nuffs....It really sucks having these diseases doesn't it...I've read lots of your posts and your very knowlegable in your discussions in MS and all. The supplements you list are good but for natural pain inhibitors what helps on inflammation are the essential fatty acids like the elongated Fish Oils (omega-3's) and Evening Primrose (omega-6) is good for MS and take with these the Mixed Tocopherols (vit-E) as they all work together. Some good antiinflammatory herbs are Ginger and Tumeric (curcumin). Also cut back on Calcium and add more Magnesium also.
But let me say this Nuffs that even though these are good the thing that really helped me is diet. No more fast/junk foods as these tore my nerves up in my feet. I have posted on here before about how now and then I stress out at work and eat fast food or DQ blizzards and my feet ache so bad i have to put them on a pillow to sleep and only after a couple of days on atkins (low carb) does the pain reside. Besides eleminating junkfoods (obvious) what is a pain free diet....Well thats somewhat tough as we are all different where some thrive on atkins others thrive on veganism,but for me and the research i've done the Paleo or Zone type diets help me greatly. Just balanced meals with good Proteins (salmon,skinless chicken,natural beef) good Carbs (most vege's,fruits) and good Fats (olive oil and omega-3's)and this really helps in pain. I quit eating Grains and Beans for leaky gut/thrush. Also i noticed when i used to drink coffee my toes would go numb so i quit it.These diet changes also helps in Cardio and Cancer diseases as we're learning that these are caused by inflammation.(Discover Magazine cover story 2005)
So anyway thats my thoughts and knowledge on this and you might want to read up/explore more on these to see if they'll fit in. Take Care .......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

6 foot 3,

Thank You very much.Yes,having this disease does suck,but I'm a firm beleiver that the good Lord won't give me anymore than I can handle.I think the 2 failed lumbar surgeries,and the 1 herniated and 3 bulging disks in the thoracic spine is worse than the MS.I am gonna check into omega 3 and 6 and vitamin E.I have to wacth the magnesuim,levels were to high last blood work.I have researched the swank diet,its not for me.I do watch the grain intake.All the chicken we get and eggs are farmed raised by a family member and the beef we buy is on the hoof,all natural,no artificial enhancers.Vegies are garden grown and frozen and canned along with many fruits,no sugar or salt added.I don't eat beans,well green beans and jelly beans at Easter.My grocery list weekly usually consists of bananas,watermellon,apples,cherries,blue berries,oranges,cranberry's,strawberries ,grapes,spinache,carrots.I'm very fortunate that my children are health concerned,very active into sports.I know my eating habits could change some.At this point I have lost 16 pounds from th MS and working very hard to put back on.Tommorrow is my target date to stop smoking.I have plenty of fresh and dried fruits on hand to keep my hands busy.
I appreciate you responding,hopefully they'll find a cure someday,

Toni

Old 08-22-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
(female)

Tight Socks HB User

6'3 You're not diabetic by any chance are you? PS Did you read my question for you on a post a little while back? It was in regards to you saying something about me expressing a gene.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Nuffs....your diet is very good so i wouldn't change anything on it.I can see all the surgeries you've had on your back has to be tough to deal with and i wish i new more to tell you but keep strong on your faith and keep searching as i'm amazed of the research news coming out every week on disease research by all the Biotechs and Universities. Also the NIH (National Institutes of Health) has lots of info on clinical trials going on as do the disease web sites like ..MS Society, ALS Association, Christopher Reeve Paralysis Center and etc.. etc..Try the oils and see if they help as they are very good at lowering inflammation...Take Care ......

Old 08-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Tight Socks....Sorry about the delay on your question but i'm not diabetic and yet sugar/high carbs really inflame my feet so somehow the insulin levels that respond to sugar are causing inflammation so i eat a low glycemic diet...
As far as expressing Genes..i've research this quite a bit so here's what i know ..When we eat food (carbs,fats proteins) these interact in our 100 trillion cells and cause our DNA/RNA to express a certain way in creating enzymes and proteins that do all the work in our body. If you noticed that most degenerative diseases occur in mid life for most and thats because it takes yrs of bad foods to negatively effect out Genes. I'll use type-2 diabete's as an example.... when you were young you/we could eat junk food and not get sick.Then we get (type-2) so we make diet changes and exercise and take supplements and now are doing great. But are we healed ...NO..because as soon as you go back to eating old ways within days you get (type-2) again and thats because the Genes now have been changed (expressed) to never let you eat like when you were young and not get sick.
I hope this makes sense to you and is not too confusing...later !!

Old 08-23-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
(female)

Tight Socks HB User

6'3 Thanks so much for your insightful response. I guess that even though I have my blood sugar levels down as far as the meter tells me, I still have, as you also seem to, a sensitivity to too many carbs. I really have to watch what I eat, esp at night, since a late meal or snack, say after 8:00, really sets off the pain in my feet.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Tight socks ...I find that having cottage cheese and frozen blueberries helps alot for late nite snack. You can also add cinnamon to spice it up more ...later !!!

Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

don'tlikecold HB User

nuffs3, I followed Harry's (6foot3) advice on diet and supplements and it made a big difference with my pain. I still have some episodes but that is to be expected. I don't expect to be completely pain free. I eliminated simple sugar from my diet and along with other supplements, take B-12 injections.

Good luck with the smoking cessation!

Susan

Old 08-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Susan,

I have cut back on simple sugars and take suppliments.I quit taking one med as I do beleive was adding to me feeling like crap.The smoking cessasion is kicking my butt,but it will pass.

Closed Thread