It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
(female)

avia HB User
Neuropathy = Muscle Stiffness?

I have suffered for about 4 years now with neuropathy in my arms and legs. I DID find out I was Diabetic and now after being on meds and tons of B12 that problem is better but now I have another one. My muscles are SO stiff, mainly after being asleep or sitting. I struggle to get up and move and it never really ever leaves completely but can the neuropathy and possibly nerve damage be the cause of this? Are there vitamins out there that can possibly help? I hate to have to take "another pill" but if someone has tried something and it helps please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Neuropathy = Muscle Stiffness?

Avia...its probably circulatory in nature...Your hit on 2 fronts here ...one is your diabetic which is terrible on your vascular system and two having neuropathy slows circulation to the extremeties because the nerves also assist in circulation .The heart pumps blood to and from the extremeties but it needs help so people who have peripheral neuropathy in feet and hands slows the nerves from stimulating the muscles which squeeze the veins and capillaries to assist in circulation.....

So what to take or do...well my advice is find an exercise bike and crank out 30 minutes 5 days a week of good cardio and that will ''kill two birds with one stone'' so to speak.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

dahlek HB User

Those same nerves also malfunction in telling your hands & feet if they are too cold/hot & wet/dry. The nerves are damaged. These things are like frayed electric wires and aren't sending the right energy or signals to the right places, the right way. Things get distorted, don't work right, even fail.
Think of it like a computer...a bad program or circuit isn't doing it's job just rite. That's how your nerves are or aren't working with the whole. Some things will have to be sort of re-learned in a new way.
I am an advocate of getting PROFESSIONAL physical therapy...learning to do HOME exercises that can help you start, get and keep the circulation going and prevent the loss of what muscle strength and balance is left. You can even improve BOTH! Ask your docs, they usually don't think of it, but, don't say no either. Staying still only makes you weaker and more prone to falls and sprains. Under a good PT, you can be given good exercises you can do in small steps that add up & SAFELY. Slowly so you don't overdo and get worse. For example, a 2-4 lb [depending on strength] hand weight [from a big box store/on sale, of course] do a series of only 5 repetitions 3 times a day and daily add just one..till you can do 20 reps 5 times a day. Less stress, damage and you'll get there.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by avia

I have suffered for about 4 years now with neuropathy in my arms and legs. I DID find out I was Diabetic and now after being on meds and tons of B12 that problem is better but now I have another one. My muscles are SO stiff, mainly after being asleep or sitting. I struggle to get up and move and it never really ever leaves completely but can the neuropathy and possibly nerve damage be the cause of this? Are there vitamins out there that can possibly help? I hate to have to take "another pill" but if someone has tried something and it helps please let me know.
Benfotiamine might help with this ,was seeing the same thing and it helped a lot with those symptoms..

Closed Thread