It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

Nancy1961 HB User
Is 544 considered low for B-12 level with neuropathy?

My mom had complete blood work done and was anxious to get results of her B-12 level. Her count was 544 for B-12. I know that's considered to be normal, but does that sound low in the world of neuropathy? Would taking more possibly help with her numbness in feet and finger tips? Just curious what anyone might think. Thanks! Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

don'tlikecold HB User
Re: Is 544 considered low for B-12 level with neuropathy?

Hi Nancy,

My B-12 level is normal too. After Harry (6Foot3) suggested taking B-12, I talked to my family doctor. He was very willing to try it but my neuro wasn't very thrilled and said it wouldn't help. My family doc gave me the RX for at-home B-12 injections.

I think it has been beneficial to me. I can't pinpoint exactly what has helped the most as I changed my diet and added supplements. The only other RX I take is Lyrica. I was on a pain pill but decided to forego that unless the pain was really bad. I haven't taken a pain pill in 3 weeks.

If you read some of the B-12 posts, you can learn how it works with nerves. Since it can't hurt, I think it would be worth trying for your mother. Most drugstores or health stores sell B-12 sublingual (under the tongue).

My mother was suffering from muscle weakness and shooting pains in her legs after taking a med for cholestrol. She started on the B-12 and now has very little weakness. I'm sure it won't work for everyone but I do think it is worth trying.

Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
(female)

Nancy1961 HB User

Susan:
That's interesting that you mentioned your mom had muscle weakness from cholesterol med. My mom has deceided to no longer take her statin Rx for her cholesterol, figuring that might be making her neuropathy problem worse. I will tell her about the B-12 under tongue., Is that tough to find at drug stores? Maybe she should check in health food or actual vitamin stores? I did read the past post on B-12, very helpful. Thanks again!! Nancy

Old 09-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
(female)

dahlek HB User

The thing about vitamin levels in blood tests is that it tells you what's roaming around in the blood...It doesn't/cant tell you how much you are actually USING in your system. B-12, particularly methylcobalamin type, is one vitamin that's safe to take lots of. Any excess not used is passed thru and out.
I get the feeling that each lab has different standards of NORMAL. Web up 'Blood Tests' and check out different sites to see what they say. Me? I go w/some sensible middle ground and cross my fingers.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread