It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

twells HB User
What does a positive sweat test mean (QSART)

I've been trying to get my doctors to help me figure out why I'm lightheaded a lot of the time. My most recent adventure has been to a neurologist. The Neuro said nothing has tested positive that would explain lightheadedness. But one of my QSART tests was incidentally abnormal. I tried every way I knew how to ask to understand what she was talking about, but never could make heads or tails of it. She said it's none of the small nerve fibers that would cause my lightheadedness. But she's scheduled me for a fasting blood glucose screening. Something to do with a possible B-12 deficiency. Can someone help me interpret?

Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

RozIA HB User
Re: What does a positive sweat test mean (QSART)

Quantitative Sudomotor Axon Reflex Test (QSART)

(also called Quantitative Sudomotor Autonomic Reflex Testing)
What is it?
The quantitative sudomotor axon reflex test (QSART) is used to assess the small nerve fibers, which are linked to the sweat glands.

Why do it?
QSART is used to diagnose:

Painful, small fiber neuropathy when nerve conduction test results are normal
Disturbances of the autonomic nervous system, which controls the sweat glands, heart, digestive system, other organs, and blood pressure
Complex pain disorders
How is it performed?
The test has three parts and measures resting skin temperature, resting sweat output, and stimulated sweat output. Measurements are typically taken on arms, legs or both. A small plastic cup is placed on the skin and the temperature and amounts of sweat under the skin are measured. To stimulate sweat a chemical is delivered electrically through the skin to a sweat gland, but the patient will only feel warmth. A computer is used to analyze the data to determine how well the nerves and sweat glands are functioning.

How will it feel?
The patient will experience little or no discomfort, but the test could take two or three hours to complete

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

twells HB User
Re: What does a positive sweat test mean (QSART)

Thanks, RozIA. I've already had the QSART. Everything was fine except for one that wouldn't explain lightheadedness. But it might explain a B12 deficiency. I just don't understand the correlation.

Closed Thread