It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
(male)

pwon HB User
Quick foot drop question

Hello all. I apologize if this would have been better of in another thread (such as the other foot drop on on this board). Many boards have their own conventions and etiquette on where to ask questions, and I didn't know what it was for this one.

I am experiencing (in my uninformed opinion) minor foot drop in my right foot. I sprained the ankle a little more than a year ago, but did not notice the drop until recently (roughly right before Christmas). After giving it a few weeks, it seems to be slightly better on how far I can lift it (and my toes) on my own, but I still have little control while walking/running and it strikes flat every time (instead of rolling like I want it to). It does still have a smaller range of motion than my left foot.

I don't notice anything particular as far as tingling or anything running down my leg. There is definitely a light sensation in that foot, but I wouldn't describe it as numbness, pain, etc. I'm not sure how to describe it. I have various back pain and have for a while, but never anything I've been all that concerned with.

Anyway, my question is, do I see someone, and who do I see? I've been given various suggestion such as primary care, orthopedic, neurologist, etc. I can pretty much go see whoever I want as far as insurance is concerned, so just looking for the best start. I'd like to go to the right place from the start instead of going to one, being sent to another right away, etc.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
(female)

mara03 HB User
Re: Quick foot drop question

I don't know if this will help, but when I had foot drop, it was caused by compartment syndrome, which compressed the nerves and caused a major muscle to liquify. But, many times a day, I did exercises where I just lifted my toes off the floor until I was able to gain full use of my foot again. You'll probably have to see several doctors, but you should probably do it as soon as you can so it doesn't get any worse.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
(male)

picnica HB User

I had foot drop and still have it due to 4 ruptured disc in my back. See the nerosurgeon

Old 03-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
(female)

Larla66 HB User

Hi there everyone,

I was hoping to talk to anyone who has dropped foot.

I had an accident 8 weeks ago and have dropped foot and I am so scared.

I feel like I am being told practically nothing at the hospital although I know it's partly not the staff's fault as they are really pushed and stressed for individual patient time etc.

I feel really depressed as I had a miscarriage very recently too although I am trying to hide my feelings and put on a brave face.

I am a divorced mum of two kids with a new partner. I really don't know what I would have done without him, he has been amazing, cooking meals, housework etc.

I am in almost constant pain though try to hide it and carry on now as I feel like i've been enough of a burden to everyone.

Has anyone been through similar with a happy outcome, I guess I just want some reassurance that everything will be ok.

I'd love to hear from anyone,
xoxox

Old 03-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
(female)

kleeko HB User

I have severe drop foot in both feet. It was caused by nerves that were compressed for a very long time. I did Physical Therapy, reflexology (love it!), acupuncture and some pain meds for a year or so before I finally had spinal surgery to decompress the nerves and fuse S1-L4. Now, 15 mos after surgery, I still have drop foot and I wear braces on both feet, use a cane and have little balance control. I'm not trying to scare anyone but the surgeon stated bluntly that this happened because I delayed surgery too long. But he admitted that he didn't know my condition was this bad until he got in there and I didn't know because I was uncomfortable but not in all that much pain. If you are experiencing drop foot, please see the doctor you TRUST the most for an honest opinion. Then go see the doctor you trust second most for a second opinion. Nerves take so long to heal that you need to give them a while....start early. Don't wait because you might not get better on your own. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
(male)

Cali4niaDreamin HB User

Hello. I read your thread. I feel exactly as you do. I don't know how it occured. I do know that I broke my lower leg over two years ago. And Suddenly somthing pops up after I was supposed to be better. Since the last two monthes Ive been walking funny. Its not only obvious but its umbarrasing. Like acne, everyone has a solution to the problem. Except they're opinions are never that helpful for more then one reason. Most because they never experienced such a problem. And two their not doctors. But I do know that ive gained little movement back. And at this rate ill be 21 before its back to normal. All I can say is make sure your competely honest with your doctor. And patience is extreamly important. I'm still learning that second one.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
(male)

jiasent HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara03 View Post
I don't know if this will help, but when I had foot drop, it was caused by compartment syndrome, which compressed the nerves and caused a major muscle to liquify. But, many times a day, I did exercises where I just lifted my toes off the floor until I was able to gain full use of my foot again. You'll probably have to see several doctors, but you should probably do it as soon as you can so it doesn't get any worse.
Dear Mara 03,

I had a traumatic compartment syndrome on July 8 2007 and a fasciotomy to open the anterior compartment to reduce pressure was two days after, which was too late to save the peroneal nerve. Right now I am having foot drop. From your post, I guess you had the same problem. How long did it take for you to regain the capability of lifting your toes? What kind of excercise did you do? Any medication or acupuncture? Appreciate your reply as I am so desparate.

Closed Thread