It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
(female)

MargoAnn HB User
Quinine's Gone!

Hi all, I just found out today that my pharmacy had to pull all of it's quinine sulfate from the shelves. Arrghh! I have been on it for over 12 years with no side effects. They have tried me on a few other meds to try and combat the horrible cramps I get in my feet and hands but I've had no luck. Anyone else out there with the same med issue? Thanks!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
(female)

TruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB User
Re: Quinine's Gone!

I've been taking quinine for cramps threw out my body why are they taking it off the shelves??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

MargoAnn HB User

This is one of the explanations;

FDA Orders Stop to Marketing Of Quinine for Night Leg Cramps
Less than a year after ordering a halt to the marketing of over-the-counter (OTC) quinine sulfate for night leg cramps based on its serious risks, FDA ordered a stop to the marketing of prescription quinine for this use because even under a doctor's care, its risks outweigh any possible benefits.
In January, FDA sent warning letters to 44 companies stating that it is unlawful to market their quinine sulfate products for night leg cramp relief because FDA has not approved the drug for this use. By the end of March, all major manufacturers and distributors had stopped labeling their products for this use, including Marion Merrell Dow, the manufacturer of the original and best-known quinine drug, Quinamm.

From 1969 through June 1992, FDA received 157 reports of health problems related to quinine use, including 23 that resulted in death. Nonserious problems included temporary sight and hearing disturbances, dizziness, fever, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Serious problems included thrombocytopenia, a destruction of blood platelets that can lead to massive bleeding and sometimes death.

After weighing the benefits and risks of OTC quinine sulfate for night leg cramps, FDA concluded that quinine is not safe and effective for this use because:
* No studies demonstrate that quinine is effective against night leg cramps.
* Night leg cramps are not a threat to life or health.
* Health risks outweigh any small potential benefits.

Based on this finding, the agency published a rule in the Aug. 22, 1994, Federal Register prohibiting OTC marketing of the drug for leg cramps.

FDA also proposed to stop OTC marketing of quinine for another use--to prevent or treat malaria. The public has until July 3 to comment on the proposal, published in the April 19, 1995, Federal Register. The agency based the proposal on its conclusion that physician monitoring is essential to the safe and effective treatment of this serious, potentially life-threatening disease. Written comments may be sent to: FDA Dockets Management Branch (HFA-305), Rockville, MD 20857.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
(female)

cosmo14 HB User

There is quinine in tonic water -- I drink a glass or two before bed to help with leg cramps/RLS. They make a diet version with no calories.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
(male)

Schmedley HB User

Try 16oz of Orange Juice (with pulp) and lots of calcium every day. 2000mg of Tums is good.

Last edited by Schmedley; 03-28-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Closed Thread