It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
(male)

ThyroidShmyroid HB User
Ulnar nerves and shoulder blade pain

I normally hang out in the thyroid board, since I believe that an undertreated thyroid is the root of my problems. But I wanted to ask if anyone shares the following symptoms.

I have been diagnosed with ulnar neuropathy, which has showed up on an EMG test. It gives me all kinds of trouble trying to type at a computer, the usual stuff: pain and stiffness in my little fingers, burning in the forearms and elbow.

The weird thing is, it seems to go hand in hand with pain just inside my right shoulder blade. The muscles at this point twitch and spasm and feel extremely uncomfortable. Any kind of rowing motion (ie. extending my arm in front of me and pulling something toward me) seems to aggravate this, especially if done repetitively.

I have seen occasional references on web sites about pain inside the shoulder blade accompanying ulnar neuropathies, but my doctors have never mentioned this as a symptom. My ulnar symptoms are milder on my left arm, and the pain to the inside of my left shoulder blade is correspondingly milder.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 04-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Ulnar nerves and shoulder blade pain

the biggest thing you really need to know for certain is just where the ulnar nerve is actually being compromised at.is this stemming from you c spine or some other issue along the nerve itself?the ulnar is actually your c 8 nerve at the very end of the cervical spine right before the thorasic vertebrae starts.you have no actual c 8 vertebrae but you DO have the c 8 nerve.have you ever had an MRI done on your c spine?i have actual spinal cord injurys right AT the c 8 nerve level and i can tell you,it has caused me major major shoulder blade problems.it is constantly inflamming all of the muscles in that area,but it is stemming from my c 8 area in my spine.if you have not actually had an MRI done on your c spine,it really does need to be done.this could be the culprit for your ulnar nerve issues.you really DO need to find out just what is compromising that nerve.good luck and please keep me posted,marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

I agree with Feelbad (hey!). The EMG should have been able to tell them where it was impinged (or if it was only damaged - not impinged).

However, mine was impinged and I had the same problems with my shoulder blade area. Mine aren't impinged now, but I have lots of pain in all the nerves in my arms - and still the same pain in my shoulder blade area.

If they are impinged, the surgery was definately worth it.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

Have any of you been going to Physical Therapy with specific exercises to try and help the nerve. I've had some arm/ulnar pain as well lately, I'm hopeing its all muscle related, but part of me wonders if more is going on, perhaps in the T-Spine. The physical therapy, particually the exercises that help stretch out the muscles and the nerve seems to help, but at the same time my muscles don't want to let up so that is why I wonder if more is going on than what meets the eye sometimes, hopefully all I need is more patients. Surgeon said everything was good as far as the C-spine goes from the films.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The thing is PD,anytime the c spine or the upper t gets inflammed at all,which is a pretty constant thing for me,it will create muscle problems.i have been dealing with this nightmare in my upper back and neck,with a really horrid gnawing painsation(my new word)directly under,not below,underneath my shoulder blade for many many years.it just got much worse after my spinal cord surgery and then the non stop deterioration of my c spine.all that inflammation just keeps sending out signals to the muscles.its a viscous cycle.trigger points,shiatzu massager(got one for christmas last year,LOVE it) and taking a tennis ball inside a sock and placing it between my upper back and a sturdy wall so i can try and pop the trigger point wads are really the only ways i have been able to deal with this crap.

i DID however just see my doc for an Rx to go back to PT.my whole neck from the base of my skull on down thru the shoulder blade and over to the R bicep are like one huge tight wad now.i have to try PT just to see if they can relax this area for me again.its gotten way out of hand now and beyond even strong muscle relaxers and anything else i had been trying.but that one area under that shoulder blade is absolutely hidious.the sensations combined with that pain are just sending things way over the top now.but since that particular area is the same spot i had this same painsation but at a much higher level right before the cavernoma was removed,i am thinking this is going to be a constant thing just from the damage caused by having it removed,or most of it anyways.But i will keep ya posted on how the actual PT does for me.if it can help with this ongong upper back nightmare,it would probably be worth a definite shot for anyone else who is dealing with this crap too.Marcia

Closed Thread