It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
(female)

babyluv45 HB User
Red face 2 weeks in hospital, no answer

i have been in the hospital for the past 2 weeks with unexplained numbness/tingling in my legs and arms that spread to my chest and abdomen. they thought guillane-barre but now are not so sure and they are now testing for porphyria. does anyone have any other ideas? i couldnt walk while this was going on, but now it is getting better. i cannot go back to school until physical therapy tells me it is OK but it is almost finals time and i am worried. i just want this to go away. any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User
Re: 2 weeks in hospital, no answer

what tests have been done on you so far? MRI? Cat Scans? and of what did they scan?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
(female)

babyluv45 HB User

ive had 2 MRIs of my spine and numerous routine blood tests. All normal. Except small abnormalities on blood work like anemia.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

have you seen any neurologist or any docs that are specialized in one area? part of me wonders if this would help. Also a scan of the brain might be a good idea depending on what the neurologist thinks. Tingling and such can be from many many things, Physical therapy might help, somtimes those muscles can be really stubborn, but if nothing improves, then it would probably be good to start getting things ruled out via other tests.
Have they looked at your B12/Folate levels at all? What about your Thyroid (TSH, T3, T4, Free T3, Free T4)? Have they checked your Glucose? Have they looked at your carotids or done a Sed Rate blood test on you?

Are they checking for causes from possible inflamation, viruses, bacteria?

Was there any event that happened that might have brought symptoms on?

I'm just trying to help brainstorm, some of this might or might not help or may or may not be relivant. I hope you find answers soon though for whatever it is.

What are they doing to try and find the cause for the Anemia, are they helping treat you for it?

Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
(female)

babyluv45 HB User

i have seen a neurologist in the hospital and outside. i have had physical therapy and a thyroid panel. not sure about the B12/folate levels. a brain scan has not been done.
the anemia is going to be treated...once we find a cause. it was a very sudden drop.
the diagnosis on my discharge papers is guillain-barre syndrome, althouhg this was treated with IVIg and still persists. so its a bit of a mystery.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

What does IVIg mean?

does your family have a history of any kind of neurological problems like MS or anything?

Old 05-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
(female)

KarmaCat HB User

Did you have a spinal tap or an EMG? A spinal tap is the only real way to definitively diagnose Guillain-Barre, as certain CSF proteins will be abnormally high. However, it can take as long as 2-3 weeks into symptom onset before the proteins show up in the spinal fluid. Therefore, some docs will do a dx with symptoms alone, even though lab tests don't completely concur.

If what you had is Guillain-Barre, then the IVIg will not make the symptoms go away. The purpose of the IVIg is to help you stabilize (i.e., not get much worse than before the treatment) and to speed along the course of the disease. Some people respond well to IVIg, and some not as well. But even if you respond well, it will take quite a while before you actually feel anything close to "normal."

It can take weeks, months, or much longer after your condition stabilizes before you lose the tingling/numbness, fatigue, muscle weakness, etc. associated with GBS. You may also have to be very careful in the future to rest and not overdo your activity or stress level, lest residual numbness, weakness, and fatigue return.

Feel free to ask if you have any additional questions. I'm currently recovering from GBS myself.

Last edited by KarmaCat; 05-02-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
(female)

jill60 HB User

Babyluv, did you find out if you had GBS? I know your post is old.

Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyluv45 View Post
i have been in the hospital for the past 2 weeks with unexplained numbness/tingling in my legs and arms that spread to my chest and abdomen. they thought guillane-barre but now are not so sure and they are now testing for porphyria. does anyone have any other ideas? i couldnt walk while this was going on, but now it is getting better. i cannot go back to school until physical therapy tells me it is OK but it is almost finals time and i am worried. i just want this to go away. any ideas?

Closed Thread