It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
(female)

hygieneguru HB User
What to expect after ulnar nerve transposition surgery for cubital tunnel?

Hi all,

I am having ulnar nerve transposition surgery for cubital tunnel syndrome on May 30th. Can anyone tell me what post op to expect. I am ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED!! I am a dental hygienist and am wondering how long I will be out of work. Can anyone give me any info???

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to hygieneguru For This Useful Post:
lkp1952 (03-24-2012)
Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
(female)

sandra195 HB User
Re: What to expect after ulnar nerve transposition surgery for cubital tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hygieneguru View Post
Hi all,

I am having ulnar nerve transposition surgery for cubital tunnel syndrome on May 30th. Can anyone tell me what post op to expect. I am ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED!! I am a dental hygienist and am wondering how long I will be out of work. Can anyone give me any info???

Thanks!
Hey, I had the surgery 11 days after yours. How you doing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
(male)

craigsg HB User

I hope you guys went ok! Mine didnt but I am hoping it will come good

Old 09-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

john449 HB User

There's quite a bit on this in the Carpal Tunnel bboard..

Old 10-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
(female)

sandra195 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john449 View Post
There's quite a bit on this in the Carpal Tunnel bboard..
Hi There

I had this surgery on June 11/07. I had swelling and bruising from the shoulder to hand and was bandaged for 10 days. I then went to have the staples removed and started physiotherapy a week later. I was pretty sore, could not bend at the elbow due to the inflammation and painful bruising. The scar and area were very tender and sensitive to materials/touch but I massaged a couple times a day over the scar especially with cocoa butter to reduce scar tissue. across the scar more than along it. The incision healed great but it was pretty tender and sensitive, still is a little. It was suggested that I expose the scar and area to different textures. Wow that hurt sometimes.I was taking very little pain medication but icing and anti-inflammatories.

At physio, which I am just finishing this week we worked mostly on regaining full range of motion so I could complete my daily living tasks at least. As able I have been working on strengthening. I am still uncomfortable at times but improving slowly. My Surgeon told me I am progressing slower than he thought so I guess it is different for all dependant on the compression, how long it had been a problem for example.
Hope this sheds a little light on what you may expect although we all do heal differently. Stay positive, ride out the not so good days and good luck.

Sandra

Old 10-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
(female)

marze1 HB User

I had the cubital tunnel transpostion surgery about a year and a few months ago. My surgery went well. They did the surgery as day surgery and under local ansthesia. I had no problems with anstheia. I had the surgery in the ellbow. I had the staples in there for 10 days then the staples were removed. Once the staples were removed I could do alot more. Afer the staples were removed i could drive again since my arm was out of the sling. As for full recovery I pretty much doing everything about 2 months after surgery but am still limited to how much I can lift now as they told me if i lift more than 20 lbs i could land back in the hospital again for surgery and it would be more invasive. don't be scared i am sure your in good hands with your surgon.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
(male)

Rienzi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marze1 View Post
I had the cubital tunnel transpostion surgery about a year and a few months ago. My surgery went well. They did the surgery as day surgery and under local ansthesia. I had no problems with anstheia. I had the surgery in the ellbow. I had the staples in there for 10 days then the staples were removed. Once the staples were removed I could do alot more. Afer the staples were removed i could drive again since my arm was out of the sling. As for full recovery I pretty much doing everything about 2 months after surgery but am still limited to how much I can lift now as they told me if i lift more than 20 lbs i could land back in the hospital again for surgery and it would be more invasive. don't be scared i am sure your in good hands with your surgon.
I don't understand your writing. Will you ever be able to lift more than 20 lbs? My apologies if English is not your first language.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
(female)

hygieneguru HB User

I had my surgery but now it is Jan 08 and it is hurting again. Question: can cold temps and barometric pressure cause pain? What do you think??

Old 01-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Oh yes cold temperatures and storms can definitely cause pain. Check out the weather channel website and look at the map of aches and pains. They rate on a scale of 1-10 what the aches&pains forecast is and it is usually pretty accurate for me. I see you are in Indiana and the forecast is 5 Moderate today. I have had to increase my pain meds since it has turned colder here in Ohio.

Brian

Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
(female)

IFORRESTI HB User

I have had the surgery twice on my right arm and once on the left, and looking to have more I have had so many problems with my arms if it gets to cold I can lose the ability to use them.. I have to explain to people why I carry a heating blanket and a converter in my car... In some states they have banned this surgery.. be careful do the research....

Sher

Old 03-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
(female)

gigi3 HB User
Talking Re: What to expect after ulnar nerve transposition surgery for cubital tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hygieneguru View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!
Hi I wanted to respond. I am a dental hygienist too. I am having carpal tunnel, and ulner nerve surgery for cubital tunnel syndrome...so two surgeries. I am worried about it affecting my fingers and the fine motor skills needed to do my job. What we do is very tedious...like some of those ladies pain stakingly making quilts with those needles (the old fashioned way) u get mmy point...holding needles...i hope i dont loose my fine moter skills. I was wondering if the other hygienist on here had her surgery and has been able to return to work yet, and was there any perm. affects?

I also am wondering for those who had the pain prior to surgery if it went up your arm , crossed over your shoulder and shot down towards your scapula over towards the rotator cuff area? I know its all affected. They know now it is the medial nerve causing the wrist, then stubbled across the ulnar being the culprit for the elbow...I am wondering now, if there is some other nerve at the top of the should causing the rotator area. Man I will be so glad to get this taken care of. The pain has just been unbelievable! I told my husband if I had to go into another career, I sure dont know what I am going to do with no hands...hmmm maybe i can test out foot massagers and tell them if they feel good!

The Following User Says Thank You to gigi3 For This Useful Post:
jfdykes (07-14-2012)
Old 03-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #12
(female)

dh50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi3 View Post
Hi I wanted to respond. syndrome...so two surgeries. I am worried about it affecting my fingers and the fine motor skills needed to do my job. What we do is very tedious...like some of those ladies pain stakingly making quilts with those needles (the old fashioned way) u get mmy point...holding needles...i hope i dont loose my fine moter skills. I was wondering if the other hygienist on here had her surgery and has been able to return to work yet, and was there any perm. affects?

I also am wondering for those who had the pain prior to surgery if it went up your arm , crossed over your shoulder and shot down towards your scapula over towards the rotator cuff area? I know its all affected. They know now it is the medial nerve causing the wrist, then stubbled across the ulnar being the culprit for the elbow...I am wondering now, if there is some other nerve at the top of the should causing the rotator area. Man I will be so glad to get this taken care of. The pain has just been unbelievable! I told my husband if I had to go into another career, I sure dont know what I am going to do with no hands...hmmm maybe i can test out foot massagers and tell them if they feel good!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #13
(female)

dh50 HB User

Hello, I work for an attorney who is looking for articles relating cubital tunnel and use of vibratory tools, in particular, those used bu dental hygienists. Can anyone help me? thanks , dh50

Old 06-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
(female)

emj9033 HB User

Hey, I'm 13 years old and going to have ulnar nerve transposition surgery at the end of july and im really freaked out about it. I dont really know what to expect. I am very active and want to know how long i will be out for. I know that everyone is different but if you could explain to me you experienced after your surgery that would be great.

Last edited by emj9033; 06-18-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
(female)

Lorann24 HB User

Hi,
I had that surgery 5 weeks ago today. They were just supposed to move the ulnar nerve but the nerve was so stretched out that they had to cut the muscles and then move the nerve. I wore a 1/2 cast for about 3 weeks and haven't worn anything since.
I will admit I did not expect the pain that I had after the surgery. When they give you pain meds take it like it says. Don't wait for it to hurt. That was what I did wrong because I didnt want to take the meds all the time. At 5 weeks post op I can't fullly straighten my arm and if I put my arm above my head I get a jolt of pain. I still have some tingling on the outside of my hand but the incision looks very good. I have my appointment tomorrow so we will see what he says about it.
Lori

Closed Thread