It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
(male)

fergy35 HB User
Question Need Info.

Hi, I'm a 35 year old male with this nerve disorder. I'm new at this message board and looking for some advice. I recently went to my Dr. and told him of my symptoms of legs and feet going numb and then pain and weakness. He looked at me like I was crazy and told me he could not find anything wrong. After I hounded him enough he sent me for numerous test. One test was to a neurologist to check the nerves in my legs. The neurologist told me I had the beginning of neuropathy. I went back to my regular Dr. after all the test had come back in and he still looked at me like I was crazy and turned me over to the neurologist for more test. Today is the 11th and I don't go back to see the neurologist till July 3rd. I'm a mechanic and on my feet for the better part of a day. I've not been able to work a full day in about a week and money is running low. I'm married and have 3 kids and the bills don't stop!!!!!! When I first get up in the mornings my legs are real weak from the knee down. On my way to work while driving my left arm goes numb from the shoulder down and my right arm from the elbow down. I'm constantly switching driving arms. When I get to work My legs feel like they are wore out. By 11:00am I have no strength in my legs and my knees are starting to hurt pretty bad and I have no feeling in my calf muscles. By 12:00 I'm on my way home! When I was able to work all day there was so much pain and lose of feeling in my legs that I could barely walk. My arms going numb has just started in the last week but my legs have been doing this for about a year and here in the last 3 weeks it has really accelerated. I'm sorry for writing this small book about me but, I need some ideas on what I can do to make it through a full day of work. I also would like to know if it is normal for this disorder to accelerate this quick. It's almost got me down to the point of not going. Thanks for any and all advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

john449 HB User
Re: Need Info.

There are dozens of causes of peripheral neuropathy. Hang in there with your neurologist. Meanwhile, if you drink, stop and if you have exposure to any toxic substances organophosphates, various hydrocarbons, etc. avoid them and let your neuro know. Good luck -- let us know how things are working out.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
(male)

Don12345 HB User

I have peripherial neuropathy much the same as you. I have a lot of trouble with my feet burning. If I take off my shoes, I am okay but usually can't wait to take my shoes off.

My general physician has told me that there are so many causes that tests would be useless and a waste of money. He prescribed neurontin which I take 4 - 600mg daily. It has helped some. But like you, my legs seem to be getting weaker and weaker. I lose my balance lots of times and climbing steps causes a lot of pain both upper and lower legs.

I finally got a referral to a neurologist and see him on July 30th. I don't have much hopes of getting any help but at least I want to try and see.

I am 65 and I know that sounds old to you, but believe me it is young when I see people 75 and 80 that don't have the problems I'm having.

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
(male)

fergy35 HB User
Re: Need Info.-update...

Just a quick update... The neurologist has moved up my appointment. I have now seen him 4 times, counting today. I have had many blood tests, urine tests and MRIs. He thinks I may have bulging disks in my back and arthritis in my knees, but is not sure if either of those are the actual cause of my problems! I now only work around 3 to 4 hours a day, because of the weakness. I have been told my neurologist is one of the best and won't stop until he finds the cause. I am glad, but hope my money doesn't run out by then! I am taking neurotin 1500 mg. I had gotten up to 2100 mg, but had an allergic reaction. I tried the lidacane patches, but felt nothing! I also take Darvocet. I have started to build a resistance to it and it takes more than it should to help only a little. My Doctor will probably want me to try something else for pain soon. Anyone have a similiar story? Thanks for any ideas!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
(female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User

I would start on at least 1000mcg's of vitamin B12, add a good multi vitamin and some good quality calcium/magnesium.

Also go to "Neurotalk." Very good neuropathy forum there with many experts.

Don't drink or smoke and stay awya from chemical exposures.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #6
(male)

fergy35 HB User

Hi! Back from the doctor. I forgot to mention that he started me on a multi-vitamin with B12 and some Q-10 enzyme over a month ago. He said that my 4-5 disks had a bulge that was going to rupture any day. He took me out of work for 3 weeks for rest, physical therapy. If that doesn't help, he wants to try epidural block. According to how well that does or doesn't work, he then wants to talk about surgery on my back. He says this is making the neuropathy in my feet and legs worse, as well as my back pain. However, he said this would ease the pain, but not the weakness in my feet and legs. I was only able to work 3 to 4 hours before and am still getting worse! He also gave me a muscle relaxer to use at night and a NAISD drug for inflammation to take during this 3 weeks.
To respond, I do not drink or smoke. I have had numerous blood tests, some to test for chemicals and the tests have shown no chemicals in my body.
Has anyone had similiar back problems, resulting in your neuropathy and how did your treatment work for you? Thanks!

Old 07-18-2007, 06:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

you also mentioned having upper torso symptoms as well,did they happen to actually do a full spinal MRI or just the lumbar area alone?i am just wondering about the upper body stuff.if you have not had a full MRI,at the very least you should also have the c spine looked into too.just a precaution.it is always possible to have both lower hernations as well as having c spine or thorasic ones at the same time.your symptomology just really tells the need to have that upper checked out too.you never know what in the heck is actually going on within any given area of your spine til you really take a good look.i found all kinds of suprises within mine.just a good suggestion for you.glad to hear you actually found a great neuro.that helps tons,believe me.good luck with this,marcia

Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

I agree with feelbad on this one,before any surgery I would request a full spine MRI.There could be other disk problems.

Are these disk in the lumbar protruding inwards or outwards.

Yes,I have had 2 lumbar surgeries with implants.With lumbar surgeries or any surgery there are no guarentees the procedure will be effective.If these disks are impinging the nerves,the damage maybe irreversible.In some cases once the nerves are freed they can regenerate back to health but its a very slow process.

Have you had a EMG/NCS or a myelogram to check for impingement?

Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
(female)

anwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB User

Hello. I am new to this site. I was reading your post and you sound a lot like me. I was just wandering if you use any organic solvents like tolulene or xylene. What kind of solvents do you use? Are cars also painted at the shop where you work?

Old 07-23-2007, 04:25 AM   #10
(male)

fergy35 HB User

Hi! When they did the MRI, it was of my full spine. Everything else looked good, except for the bulged disk they found. It was exactly where my Dr. had said earlier that he thought it would be, according to my symptoms and talking to him. It is pressing inward. He still said this was a problem that would help my back pain, but it is not the only cause of my leg pain and weakness. He is taking it one problem at a time. He thinks there may be another reason for the neuropathy as well. Also, he wants me to go to another dr. to check my knees. Rheumatod (?) arthritis runs in my family at a young age. I have 2 cousins that are disabled by it, within a few years of my age. He thinks this may be the cause of my severe knee pain. I am trying to take it one day at a time. I have tried Hydrocodone 5-325 and Darvocet for the pain. So far, only Darvocet helped, a little, and now that has stopped working. I am calling again today to see what else they will let me try. I tried the patches by prescription and they did NOTHING!
I do not paint cars at my shop. We repair construction equipment when they have problems. I have been tested for every type of chemical cause and they have not found any problems. So, I don't believe that is my problem, but who knows! Good luck with finding the cause of your symptoms!

Old 07-23-2007, 04:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just a suggestion for ya since nothing actually showed up(do you have a copy of that MRI report?)on the full scan.obtaining an MRI with contrast on your brain really wouldn't hurt at this point.something has to be triggering the upper torso symptoms,it couldn't be stemming from a herniation that far down the spine.so the best place to look next would be right above the spine in the brain.there are just so many different things that could be happening within the brain that could possibly create the types of symptoms you are actually having.i really think it at the very least,needs to be evaluated.honestly,you just never really know what is actually inside your body until you take that in depth look.i found that out the hard way.it really just needs to be considered as a possible culprit til ruled out.it is just a real possibility,thats all.good luck and please continue to keep us posted on how things are going.Marcia

Closed Thread