It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User
Question B12 nerve repair

I am wondering if anyone can give me some words of wisdom. In May I went to the DR because of tingling (pins and needles) in my hands, arms, torso and feet. My feet would also feel like they were burning. In addition I was feeling extremely tired all the time and the slightest activity wiped me out. I felt short of breath and like my heart was going way too fast. So my doctor ran a bunch of tests and the one thing that came back was a low B12 serum, 184.

I had four injections over four weeks, and am taking 1000 mcg's every day, along with a B complex and a multi vitamin, but don't feel much better at all. Immediately after the injections I have a bump in energy but that only lasts a few days before I am back to feeling like I was hit by a mack truck. The pins and needles have also continued. Now my doctor is talking about sending me to a neurologist.

So what I am wondering about is how long it can take for the B12 to make a difference in how I feel? I am going to have a blood draw next week to see where my level is. Should I be back to normal or is it possible I won't ever get back to normal? Trying to be patient...

Also, on a side note, my doctor said we will probably never know why my level is so low, but the more I read the more I question if there is value in finding out. I have had issues with digestion for a couple of years, had my gall bladder out two years ago, have IBS, and I wonder if my inability to absorb B12 should be investigated more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 04:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: B12 nerve repair

lj,

It can take month to get B-12 levels back to normal.It can take many months for nerves to heal.

For why your B-12 levels dropped they may never figure that out.

Seeing a neuro and having him/her run some additional test may give you some answers on what nerves may be damaged and a neuro can rule out other disorders that may cause the b-12 to drop.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:09 AM   #3
(female)

Thanks for your reply. I will try to exercise more patience. From what I have read it seems like the level must have been low for a long time to create neurlogical symptoms, so I guess I can't expect to feel better that quickly. I also will pursue the neurologist, I had been thinking it wasn't worth the trouble but maybe it will give some more info.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
(female)

olwynUFO HB User

LJ,

You can find a lot of information about B-12 on the Anemia message board. I was just diagnosed with low B-12 and have spent hours there reading about people's experiences.

Olwyn

Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
(female)

sanwan HB Usersanwan HB User

Could very well be Celiac

Old 07-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
(female)

I don't think so, I had a blood test for the celiac markers which cam e back negative. I had thought it was a while ago, but my gastro says it's IBS. I also have divertuculosis which has flared a few times. I am wondering if I should ask for an endoscopy to see if I have atrophic gastritis.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
(female)

lonelymum HB User

Hi, it seems that B12 can lead to many different issues. I was diagnosed with B12 deficiency 2 years ago having gone to my GP thinking I had a virus (which I had but with additional symptoms). Tingling in left hand and then left foot, tiredness, sleeping all hours (no energy after a a couple of hours having to go back to bed), bleeding gums etc and then they diagnosed saying also Pernicious Aneamia. Found it all very confusing but after a series of B12 shots it seemed to sort out after a couple of months or so but have to admit life has gone downhill since. Am about to turn 49 and have many health issues. Had an endoscopy/colonoscopy last year, they found that I had chronic inflammation of the stomach lining. Had to go on meds for 3 months to clear this (I'd had nausea etc for a time prior to test) GP said that so many PA sufferers can end up with probs in this area??? I am not 100% about detail of this but still I have probs from time to time. Recently I was admitted to hospital with chest pain and some positive heart stress test results incl an ECG where I ended up having an agiogram with a clear result of my arteries. When going into the theatre a nurse asked the usual questions re any conditions and I mentioned B12 and she said B12 can cause heart complaints???? All confusing??? Along with the chest pain I was having a lot of pain in my neck and shoulder blades and shoulders including burning pains and still have 2 months later. It drives me crazy some days. 3 nights ago in the middle of the night I had pain in my right shoulder that felt like electricity bolts going through it, it has left me with pain in that area that feels like I have been puched in that shoulder badly. I have had different opinions about my pain from everyone that I have spoken to. To treat it, some say take a panadol, others say see a physiotherapist, others say it's a neurological problem. I am not sure what to do either. It would be helpful to compare any complaints and see what we can all come up with. Am tired like probably most of us being in pain on a daily basis!!! Good luck.

Closed Thread