It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
EMG and medications

I am going to the neurologist on Thursday for a 2nd EMG (by a different neuro). I am on a bunch of meds. I was reading somewhere that benzo's can affect the test results. I tried calling the doctor's office but they said since I am a new patient the doctor will not talk to me. I am on anti-seizure medicine (lamictal), reflan (arthritis med), pepcid (stomach med), BCP's, soma (muscle relaxor), take valium at night for muscle spasms (benzo) and am prescribed ativan, a benzo, which I haven't been taking. I was taking ativan when I had my first EMG and was wondering if this could have messed with the results. What should I do? Not take the meds that day? Will the meds be in my system from days before? Any help would be appreciated!!!! Very confused.
Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: EMG and medications

its kind of stupid for them to not give you that basic info considering that you will be having the test there and need to know the ins and outs.from my experience with having three seperate EMGs,with the last one just last week,i have never been told to 'not' actually take any of my meds and that includes valium too.if you are taking this at night too it really would not have any real impact on your test results either way.i know mine did not at all and i was taking my oxy,robaxin(muscle relaxer) and i am sure still had some valium in me then too.my nerve conduction has actually improved since the last EMG done two months post op spinal cord surgery.i lost alot of innervation and muscle in my left hand and forearm.it showed definite improvement there despite all the meds i was on.i really don't think you should have any problems given the meds you are on.i would make one huge suggestion to you tho,if you have any actual narcotic pain meds availiable to take,take them before the test,this particular test can be a bit uncomfortable at times.good luck to you and i hope things go well for you.let me know,K?marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Thanks marcia-
I had it done once before and it HURT! No Narc. meds unfortunately. The first time I wasn't expecting it to hurt but those needles were pretty big, they go in fairly deep and in A LOT of different places....eeeecck. I will wait to take my morning meds till after the test. I was suprised they didn't send me any info packet before the exam like most docs do. I have the appointment tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the response! I hope this time they can at least start to figure out what the heck is going on! I have an appointment with a pain management clinic August 24th and hopefully they can help too.
Bella

Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

good luck bella.just keep your head in your "happy place" as much as possible.the feeling to slap the doc after he shoves that needle into your muscle and tells you that you "have to relax" will become overwhelming so try and sit on your hands,lol.take care and let me know how things go,K?marcia

Old 08-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

hey marcia-
Well the new doctor was really nice. Not a butcher like the last neuro. that did my EMG. Wasn't pleasant but bearable. And of course, once again, things look normal. I have been in severe pain since the procedure (I was already in a bit of pain and I think it just stimulated the pain nerves more). My PCP just ups all my meds (no narcs) and they make me wanna throw up (my poor liver is like help me!!! ).. I literally have been crying for 1 1/2 days cause it hurts to do everything. I volunteer at a soup kitchen, care for my grandmother who is 91, and my son. And all those things women tend to do. I feel just so frustrated!!! My appointment at the pain clinic isn't until the 24th of August. I wish my PCP could be in my body for a few minutes to understand. She says she doesn't like giving pain meds because they are highly addictive and I am young (31). I could say all the symptoms I have been dealing with but I won't. The neuro. believes it is fibromyalgia with an underlying autoimmune disorder (poss rheumatoid...which there is a lot of in my family). At least now the docs aren't saying/convincing me it is all in my head!!! .

Bella

Closed Thread