It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User
Angry numbness and pain in pinky- nerve tests negative, no meds give relief

I have had pain in my pinky- the joint closest to the hand with numbness and tingling. I have an autoimmune disorder and am on prednisone, plaquenil and other NSAIDS. None of these meds help the pain. It is hard because it is my dominant hand. I had cervical x-rays which showed some compression of the vertebrae, in c4-5 5-6, and narrowing possibly due from muscle spasm/ The dr. that read the report suggested an MRI. it sid some other jargon but I don't remember. I had ulnar nerve testing today and it came back negative. I was shocked! With the numbness, tingling and constant pain I am having I thought for sure It would be positive. My rheummy wants to put me on stronger NSAIDS, and hold off on the MRI because of the expense. (go figure) He said if it isn't better in a month, he will refer me to a hand surgeon. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any suggestions to rid the pain? I had a cortisone injection into the joint a week ago and it felt great for 2 days, then the pain was right back just like before. My hand is useless. I drop things, cant write well, can't open anything, and feel like it just doesn't work right. Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance. I guess my dr. was thinking cubbital tunnel or possible peripheral neuropathy from my auto immune stuff??
Kelley

Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
(female)

jaderiver HB User
Re: numbness and pain in pinky- nerve tests negative, no meds give relief

I don't know alot about neuropathy but I did have cubital tunnel syndrome of my elbow which left my pinky and ring finger numb. Also I had muscle atrophy, shrinking of my hand muscles which caused me to drop objects easily. A nerve conduction test is used to test the nerve response of the ulnar nerve although from what I hear not all doctors go by this test for diagnosis of cubital tunnel. They usually try conservative methods such as wearing a splint at night or wrapping your arm in a towel, jelly roll style to keep your arm straight. Bending your arm can make the problem worse while sleeping which is why they suggest a splint or towel. Also not leaning on your elbow and physiotherapy. They generally try conservative methods first since sometimes that helps the problem. Otherwise surgery is sometimes the next step. I'm not a doctor, just going by what I went through, what was suggested.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Thank you for all the great information. I guess time will tell what is going on. It is no fun that's for sure.
Kelley

Old 08-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
(female)

jaderiver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel123 View Post
Thank you for all the great information. I guess time will tell what is going on. It is no fun that's for sure.
Kelley
Your welcome! Please keep us updated. Good Luck!

Closed Thread