It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

Neatalia HB User
Exclamation My 3 yo had a non febrile seizure...

Sara, my 3yo, had the RotoVirus back in May. She is a very healthy (other than having her tonsils removed earlier this year) very smart child. Coming off the cusp and fever-free for 2 days she had a seizure that lasted about 10-15 minutes but was unable to regain consciousness for almost an hour. ER docs evaluation was a febrile (even when temperature was only 98.1 in ER) and sent her home. I was unsatisfied with that and had her Ped look her over the next a.m. He suggested a Neurologist. Neuro gave the once over and sent her for and EEG (3 months later b/c it wasn't urgent). Results came back "good/bad"said no signs of possible epilipsy (good) but "left side of brain isn't functioning as normal as the right side of the brain", she "could have been born with it" and wants "to sedate her and run an MRI". Again not urgent but within the next month or 2 . I need help in understanding this. I asked the Neuro what the MRI results will tells us and she only said that she "expects it to come back normal". Why do I have to put my 3 yo through this if she is expecting that nothing will come of this...and if she is wrong, what could the MRI detect as far as the left side not funtioning "normal" What could it possibly be? Is this a possible side affect from the seizure? I haven't been able to find anyone who could answer these questions for me...I'm scared for her and for us but cannot talk about this with my husband...he's the "don't think about the bad things" kinda guy. If anyone has any knowlege of something like this, please help me and thank you in advance for your replies. ~~~> Natalie .

Last edited by Neatalia; 09-10-2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: didn't understand the quotes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: My 3 yo had a non febrile seizure...

the thing about feblile siezures is that the temp only has to "suddenly" go up to trigger it,it doesn't actually mean that it stays there,you know what i mean?it can trigger then drop back down again to normal so you really wouldn't know exactly what the temp truely was at the time of the onset.having a sedated MRI for a child isn't too big of a deal.i know there are risks involved with any sedated procedure,but in this case,i really do think it would be in your childs best interest if they suspect anything that may be out of the norm.if something is actually wrong,wouldn't you want to know about it?i know seeing our kids in these types of posistions can be very stressful and plain scarey at times but sometimes things just need to be done for their health and well being.my son went into liver failure at age 12 and had a transplant at age 13.he also(three years later)suffered a severe brain injury with double skull fracture and a bleed into his frontal lobe.so i do have some experience in having to deal with scarey stuff with our children.sometimes it is just for the best that ceratin tests be done.if nothing else,it can rule out ALOT of possibilities and also set that baseline.if any furture problems should arise,you will always have this test as the baseline the docs can work from and know what may be new or was there before you know what i mean?you just wont know for certain if everything is okay or there really is some sort of a problem til they actually look inside your childs brain.honestly?if this were my child,given what has occured and that you have been told something doesn't appear "right" with part of the brain,i would go ahead and at least have it all evaluated with an MRI.really.you just have to look at the whole big picture here and do what you really feel is the best possible thing for your child and their future.at least there is not any pain at all involved with this test,they go to sleep and wake up and it is all over for them.it is just "us' the parents who kind of suffer thru everything.just do what you feel is really in the best interest of your child.i hope things turn out okay for all of you.please let me know how things are going,K?ya just gotta hang in there mom. marcia

Closed Thread