It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
(female)

sharonn HB User
Help!

My foot pain is out of control and the 75 mgs. of oxycodone barely helps. Neurontin had a bad effect on me and elavil does help but put weight on. My GP keeps telling me to lose weight but when I cut the elavil out my pain skyrockets and even higher doses of oxy leave me groggy and irritable. I am so frustrated. My dx was sensory neuropathy(of unknown origin) after years of spinal surgeries for L-4/L-5...no hardware but a fusion. My MRI shows another small herniation but the neuro says this bears no relevance to this neuropathy. Where did it come from? 2 years ago I was fine....now I am 30 lbs. heavier and physically dependent on oxycodone and in pain 24/7. My legs hurt as well and I barely eat to control the weight. Tried walking and my foot pain was unbearable. Sorry to sound like a whining baby but all of this is depressing an a bit overwhelming. I was even told to "get off the narcs" by one Dr., insisting that my paon was due to withdrawals! ?????Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...Sharonn

Old 10-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Help!

Hello Sharron:
I also have foot pain as well which is nerve related. I have permanent nerve damage from neuromas surgeries in my feet. What you may have in your feet could be totally unrelated to your back. You should probably see a podiatrist to get your feet evaluated. You could possibly have neuromas, or plantar faciitis. Have you ever tried Lyrica for the pain. It is specificaly approved to treat nerve pain. It is similar to Neurontin but tends to have less side effects. I was on Neurontin (up to 3600 mgs) and it was really doing anything for me but having terrible side effects. I switched to Lyrica and it helps quite a bit plus I am on the fentanyl patch. You might want to ask your doc about this as well. It could possibly eliminate your need to take the oxycodone. It is a patch that is worn and changed every 2-3 days. It is a very strong narcotic but it gives you a steady dose of pain medicine so you don't get that constant up and down feeling of the oxycodone. That is what I am currently taking plus I am trying to get off Ultram. Ultram is good for controlling nerve pain as well. Hope things start to improve.

Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
(female)

sharonn HB User
Wink Re: Help!

Thank you so much for the rely...it can be a lonely place when you are in pain. I was on Lyrica and I was spacy on it and gained weight, Going to see a new neuro, next month and hope for a dx. My weight has not made the pain any better and believe me.my self-esteem is no better either. I was a model for 20 years and although I am 51,I could still do it as there is a market for over-40 women in advertising these days.I hate the meds, but I must be functional in order to keep depression at bay.My Dr. will not consider the patch(?) but has no problem with other meds. I have such sensitivities to meds that when I finally hit on something that doesn't make me nauseous I take it. Vicodin was bad and tylenol #3 was a joke. I am sorry for your foot pain. Believe me,I know. After lying in bed at night, getting up even to go to the bathroom is like walking on a bed of nails. Do you have neuropathy as well in the feet. I am not that familiar with neuromas. Sharonn

Closed Thread