It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
(female)

hypnotiic HB User
emg???

hi all. i had an emg done a few weeks ago which was slightly abnormal.. but ive been also having tingling and numbness and the ncv was normal?? anyways my question is since the emg is abnormal does that mean it could be als or maybe neuropathy?? how do the docs tell in the emg?? ive had mris done of my brain and of my spine which were both normal.. they wanted to do a spinal but then they changed their mind because they said that the mri was good enough and it wasnt needed. this all started suddenly after a spinal anesthesia.. its obv not an infec. or anything in my spine.. does anyone think it could be because the meds they injected in my spine?? they used bupivicane.. can that cause neuropathy?? thanx 4the help guys!! please respond.. dont just read lol thanx again. and if anyone has had an abnormal emg what happened with that??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: emg???

the most logical thing to do when you have an abnormal EMG is to track the nerve back to where it starts and look very closely at that area for any type of abnormalitys.it just makes sense ya know?anything along that nerve track could be affecting it in some way and would cause the abnormal velocity reading that occured with the EMG.whatever nerve showed up with the abnormal reading HAS TO be affected in some way or it wouldn't have showed up with abnormal flow.it is really a good thing that you at least have an established nerve affectation,at least they know THAT much,and thats a big deal when trying to locate a problem.depending on just what type of scan you had and whether or not it used contrast dye can make a difference in whether or not some sort of issues will actually show themselves on any film.you may just need more specific types of testing on that nerve area or more comprehensive types of scans done.i know there is a better stronger type of MRI that i had to have done when they were looking at my brain aneurysm to get the clearest pics possible and this was called a '3T or 3 tesla" scan.it is actually the same as an MRI but it uses three times the magnetism thus deeper clearer pics are produced.but finding a place that has one may be the problem.any good radiology place should have at least one at one of their facilitys.i used to go to the one place they had that was closest to me but had to go about a one hour drive away to one of their other facilitys that had this type of scanner just to get this particular scan done.

i would keep pushing things with your docs(what type of docs are you currently seeing?) since you DO HAVE confirmed nerve damge,there has to be a reason.its just a matter of finding that area where it is actually damaged at.it could take some time.but you KNOW this is not all in your head and you do have proof of damage(just what nerve does it state on your EMG report as being the affected one?) and that in itself is huge,really.your docs just really need to start getting a bit creative here and find that source.please keep me posted on how things are going,K? good luck.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
(female)

hypnotiic HB User

hi thanks again for helping me out. they did the emg on my right arm and right leg. she kept wanting to do it but i wouldnt let her because it hurt too much. she said it was slightly abnormal and doesnt think its anything serious. im just so scared because i know an emg is how they diagnose als. i have all the symptoms of als... but i have tingling and numbness too and i heard thats not a symptom. what are other types of issues i could talk to my doc about?? right now im only seeing a neuro. thanls again!! =]

Old 10-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

hypnotiic HB User

also.. how can they tell the difference between als and neuropathy?? is neuropathy deadly like als?

Closed Thread