It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 06:18 AM   #1
(female)

clasact1956 HB User
Problem with lower lombar disk pinching a nerve

I have had a problem since 1991 from a pinched nerve due to a bulge in my lower lombar. I have been to a chiropractor and have had physical therapy. Nothing has helped and sypmtoms are getting worse as the year go by. I have no clue why I have this problem. Here are my symptons all on the left size of my body.

Pain in hip and buttocks
Pain in back of leg to calf
Numbness from mid thigh to knee
Occasional numbness from hand to foot
Pain in knee

Anyone have this problem or similar?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

pattihabs HB User
Re: Problem with lower lombar disk pinching a nerve

hey clasact, i'm also from ct. anyway, have you had a mri? or seen a doc? go see a neurologist and get mri and xrays. this will probably see where the problem is, then yiou can go to p/t and it should help build the muscles to protect the disc. anyway, pain stinks. good luck, patti from new milford

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

patti is right,you DO need an updated MRI,or a first one if you have never actually had one.if you go up to the 'backboards' here,there are MANY people who can help you with questions.they all have been thru some level of back surgery or are having problems/symptoms,similar to yours.the longer any nerve stays 'pinched' or compressed,the higher the risk of permanent damage and pain to it.if this is indeed a compromised nerve,it needs releasing,soon.marcia

Old 10-29-2007, 05:18 AM   #4
(female)

clasact1956 HB User

I had an MRI but will need an updated one. All they did was send me to have physical therapy. Baloney to that. I have an apt with a different neurologist tomorrow for a second opinion. If the numbess is permanent than thats life but I don't want it to get worse.

I have a high tollorance to pain but I think I have reached my limit.

I do work out (30 min tae bo or 45 min walking per day)so I know that its not helping but and being a women in her 50's, its hard to keep my weight down so unless a doctor tells me to stop, I will have to deal with it.

D

Old 10-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just a thought here but after you obtain that next MRI,take it to see an ortho surgeon for a consult not just your neuro.they would be able to really give you the best advice,much moreso than a simple neurologist who never actually does surgery or sees the inside of a spine.an ortho would have the best advice for your particular issue.just a thought since you will probably get nowhere with the current doc you are seeing.but get that new MRI done soon(just how old is your other one?).please let us know how things go.Marcia

Old 11-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
(female)

clasact1956 HB User

Went for MRI and x-rays. I have a degenerated disk. Should I still see an ortho? Not many options for this type of problem per my urologist.

D

Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

just exactly what does your MRI state in the very end in that summary about the deterioration?if you do not have an actual copy of that report,get one so you can see for yourself just what it states.not all docs will actually tell you everything that is actually found upon your own MRI.sick but sadly true,believe me.what would really dictate whether you need to have an ortho consult is how severe the problem is.if you could let me know what that report says,i would be more than happy to try and help.but this would most likely be an orthosurgeon consult if anything.as long as there is no cord compromise and it is below the c spine,an ortho would do just fine.marcia

Closed Thread