It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
(male)

craigsg HB User
ulnar nerve severed/ tendon transfers

My ulnar nerve was as good as severed above my elbow, paralysing much of my hand. My surgeon is talking about tendon transfers. Anyone had them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

john449 HB User
Re: ulnar nerve severed/ tendon transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsg View Post
My ulnar nerve was as good as severed above my elbow, paralysing much of my hand. My surgeon is talking about tendon transfers. Anyone had them?
Certainly worth looking into - (I assume this is an old injury otherwise you'd be talking about nerve grafts). Certainly the grip can be improved. The problem in the hand especially is that tho' motor function can be improved the lack of sensation remains and limits functional gains. Your decision will depend in large part on what you need your hand for in work/hobbies/etc.. I would certainly recommend getting a very experienced hand surgeon, one that has experience with this sort of impairment. And get him to introduce you to others who have had upper extremity tendon transfers. I have no first hand experience but was stationed in a military hospital where upper extremity traumas were common. Good Luck...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread