It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
(male)

andrew15 HB User
how exactly does start of neuropathy feel (hands and feet)?

For last 6 months to a year I have noticed tingling, pulsing, burning type feelings in both hands and feet. Its not severe and never feels as strong as "falling asleep" but it's been consistent.

It seems to more noticeable at night vs first waking up. The feeling is like when a limb falls asleep but more the part when it is going away and the "needles" feeling is dissapating. The feeling is more intense when I make a fist and scrunch my toes.

I am just hyper aware of what is pretty normal? Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Otherwise I am a healthy (if stressed) 35 yr old male - diabetes shouldn't be an issue and no immediate family has had any nerve problems.
My only fixation is that an electric shock (110v) somehow caused some damage to nerves. Shock was years ago so it seems unlikely plus both left and rights sides are equally involved.

I realize this sounds minor all in all but I'd appreciate any thoughts -

thanks

Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: how exactly does start of neuropathy feel (hands and feet)?

Andrew15:
Yes it does sound exactly like neuropathy. You really need to get it checked out by a doctor, and possibly a neurologist. It may not be bad yet but if you continue to let it go, it probably will get worse. I have chronic nerve pain in my feet and it feels like "burning" sensation like you stepped on a bee except that it is constant and made worse by any pressure especially walking and standing as you can imagine. I also get pulsating and sometimes electric "shock" sensations. I think mine may be getting worse. I have had it for over 4 years and it is difficult to deal with although all of the meds I take make it tolerable. If you have any further questions feel free to ask. Hopefully other peope will chime in and give you some advice.

Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
(female)

little chicken HB User

I totally agree with Brian! Does sound like neuropathic pain and left untreated it will get worse. Please go and see someone. Best you go and see a neurogist, because I am know unable to walk because I left it for 7 years. I am hopefully going to have a spinal cord stimulator inserted to help my excruituating pain in the backs of my feet. I wish someone had of told me what the burning sensations were when it first occured from a car accident, I only heard the term neuropathy one year ago.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
(male)

andrew15 HB User

Brian -
Sorry to hear about your pain. I hesitated to post partly because my sensations are not painful so much as uncomfortable. I've heard from a few people that reduced circulation can create similar sensations like pins and needles and that maybe excersize might help.

The funny thing about these things is when it's not noticeable you downplay it but then it comes back strongly another night and then I'm back to thinking something odd is definately going on.

I'll consider a visit to a neuro this winter - thanks for the input

Andrew

Old 11-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Most likely neuropathic, I have it in hands and feet! Should see a neurologist for this. I also have polyneuropathy, He'll at least get you started on something to make you more comfortable.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
(male)

woondog HB User

If you have pn, it would probable get worse. I've had it in my feet for many, many
years and now my drugs take care of the pain. Exercise, especially weight bearing
exercise (treadmill, etc.) where there is some "banging" of your lower extremities
is the best method to head off future pain and to prevent pins and needles, etc.
I saw my doctor a week ago, and she fully expected me to say I didn't feel the pain
when she stuck me with a needle on the ball of my feet. Both to her, and my, surprise
I felt it. ...25 years ago I had very little sensation there. Now, after very intense
exercise (two hours of running every day...one hour in am and the other in the
evening, on a tread mill but in earlier years, trail running, I have my feet and my legs
back. Not to scare you, but pn sometimes progresses to "lightening strikes"
whereby one gets unbearable strikes of pain, for me..every 20 or so seconds for
days on end. You don't want to get to that stage. Do what you can do?
join a gym, the YMCA. The result could not only lessee or eliminate pn pain
but might make you overall healthier. If you can't afford to join a
club and it is too cold outside to run or walk, check out you local civic
center which is where I started to walk or, the mall. The Woondog

Last edited by woondog; 11-09-2007 at 07:56 AM.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #7
(female)

SherryDawn HB User

Andrew,
Get this checked out! If your PCP doesn't take it seriously, go to a Neurologist - if your Insurance doesn't require you to get a referral. I ignored those types of symptoms for years, and partly due to my PCP telling me those things were normal for people with Fibromyalgia (which I also have). Even though earlier detection doesn't always have an effect on how advanced Neuropathy will be, there are medications to help! There are specific nerve tests that can show a wide variety of things, too.

As with all diseases, all people with Neuropathy respond differently to medications and it advances at it's own speed. Some with Neuropathy can find themselves unable to walk within a few months of symptoms beginning, while others have little advancement in decades!! Neuropathy is an 'individual' disease! Still, you need to find out for sure what's going on and if it's nerve based symptoms!!

Best of luck and let us know how you come out!
SherryDawn

Closed Thread