It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 04:45 AM   #1
(female)

Katirina HB User
Nerve pain?

I posted on the back page but didn't get any reply so will try here. I have had two back surgeries this year (one fusion in April and minor one in August).The first was to relieve spinal stenosis pain in both legs but left was worse. Most of the pain went away except I do have tailbone pain also. I am going to PT to try to relieve that pain. I just saw my surgeon for the last time as I still had some residual pain in left leg and he put me on Celebrex and I worked part time for a few weeks. I told him I just had a little pain and mentioned some pain at night and that I thought perhaps it was going off the Celebrex and he seemed to agree. Well for the last four nights I wake up around 12:45 a.m. with terrible pain in my left leg - usually lower outside of leg and it starts going numb. I can hardly get up but I do and take a couple of pain pills and do manage to finally go back to sleep. I had to get up for work and my leg still hurt but finally after in the shower for a few minutes the pain was better. My husband wants me to call the surgeon (2 1/2 hrs away) and see about another MRI. I am up and ready for my 10 hr day and thinking so he can do another surgery and cause me more pain. It does sound like a pinched nerve but I don't want surgery again. My body is getting tired from all this pain and pain pills. I don't know if the PT could have anything to do with this? Sorry to go on and on. I do take 2 Amytriptolene at night or migraines and pain and 1 Neurontin at night and one during the day and Vicodin when I need it and with tailbone I need it a lot. I really would like someone to answer - you have all been through pain. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Nerve pain?

an MRI might not be a bad idea considering what you are feeling right now.one big question for ya tho,are you certain that you have actually even fused?this can be very hard to tell with some areas.my ct actually stated i was actually fused,my MRI had recomended the ct as it couldn't tell for sure.my symptoms told me i wasn't but my NSs nurse(whole other nightmare story there)insisted everything was just ducky.well after annoying the heck out of her for about nine months she sent me for an extension and flexion x ray that proved without a doubt that i was NOT actually even fused,despite what that ct stated about it.a flex and ext x ray is a pretty good way of telling.it actually proves much better and easier in the c spine area but can tell lower down if it is in the lumbar.the types of symptoms you are having could be from non fusion or another problem but it is most assuredly stemming from nerve involvement somewhere.an MRI with contrast may be your best bet to start,having an EMG wouldn't hurt either.this would just show whether or not there is something actually compressing or heavily affecting a nerve along the way.it would not actually show intermittant compression or inflammation or irritation of a nerve by something,but would show if it is being compressed in some way by how the actual nerve flow is.but i really do think that MRI for you right now would be a really good idea.it may not require another surgey,but at least you may find out what the actual issue is and for most of us who are left wondering,thats kind of a big deal in and of itself ya know?this is just what i would do if i were in your current situation.good luck and please let me know what you find out,K?marcia

Closed Thread