It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

ckjd HB User
Question Excrutiating foot pain

I've had increasing severe foot pain for the past 4 years. When they hurt really bad they are actually blueish purple in color.

They burn, sting, itch, throb and feel like I'm walking on glass, it does progress up my legs sometimes. My hands occasionally feel like this too but not as bad.

I have had nerve conduction tests done on my feet and it came back negative--which totally surprised my Dr. Half the time I couldn't tell when the
tech was even using the electrode. When she would move my foot I would about hit the roof.

If I have my cell phone on vibrate in my pocket, I can never tell its vibrating.

I also have fibromyalgia and Celiac's disease. I have tried Lyrica and Topamax but I couldn't handle the side effects. I've just started acupuncture, but its to soon to see if it will help.

Any help on what to do next would be great. TIA

Danie

Old 11-24-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User
Re: Excrutiating foot pain

Have you tried Neurontin? The symptoms you are describing also so remind me of symptoms of a nerve conditon call RSD(Reflex Sympathetic Dystropy). Maybe you can check out the RSD board and at the top is a list of symptoms of RSD and see if yours are similar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I would suggest trying Cymbalta. It works well on nerve pain and also helps with depression as well. I might also suggest either amitryptiline or nortriptyline. They are old tricyclic type antidepressants that have been shown to work well at controlling nerve pain. Another medication for nerve pain is Ultram which I take right now.

I have nerve damage in my feet from many procedures and surgeries. I have tried a multitude of medications. If those medications do not help then you may have to add a narcotic medication. Here is what I currently take:

37.5 mcg fentanyl patch
600 mg/day Lyrica
1500 mg/day Trileptal
up to 3000mg/day acetaminophen
100-125 mg/day Ultram

Hope that helps.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
(male)

woondog HB User

You did not say if you are diabetic......All you folks.....I owned an acupuncture
clinic and it did nothing for me or my clients re: peripheral neurapathy. It does
work wonders for other things, however. I take 10mg nortriptyline, twice a day
and dilaudio, 2 mg, twice a day and after 25 years of suffering, this has done the
trick for me. the woondog

Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
(female)

TerriD HB User

This is just a suggestion. I have diabetic neuropathy and the thing that helps me is taking "alpha lipoic acid". You can find it in any store, like Walmart.

Hope you get some relief.

Terri

Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just what started this whole process four years ago?an injury of some sort?there had to be a 'beginning' to this,just what went on right before this started to present itself in you?did you have any surgical procedures four years ago before this occured,anywhere?marcia

Old 11-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
(female)

skelly03 HB User

hi Danie,

I'm sorry to hear what all you have been going through!! I have RSD and ceilac diease I was depressed to have a double whammy but thankfully the celiac has been under control for three years after 10 years of pain and suffering and the docs not knowing what it was then about 9months ago I got RSD been in pain for a year this month I agree with Rayefaye who has been great with me since I am new to this board I would check out the RSD board and see what you think then mayber you could bring it up to your doctor!!! Take care

Hugs

Shannon

Closed Thread