It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 04:38 AM   #1
(male)

Scottie23 HB User
Lipitor

I have had borderline high cholesterol (225) for quite sometime and during my annual physical exam my doctor would review my blood results and suggest a statin in my case it was Lipitor. So I finally agreed to begin taking a 10mg dose and have now been taking it for about a year now. Around the beginning of Oct-2007 I began to feel some tingling and numbness in my right hand, manily in the right thumb. It then proceeded to get worse and the pain now is in my right arm, hand, shoulder, etc. I saw my doctor and he thought there was a problem with my shoulder and received treatment for shoulder. Didn't help.. I then suggested to my doctor that I see an orthopedic doctor and he agreed. I saw an ortho doctor and he took X-Rays of my neck and stated that the pain in my arm was coming from a pinched nerve in the C-5\C-6 area of the neck. I also had a MRI and it show POSSIBLE symtoms from the C-4-6 areas of the neck. However, I don't have any neck pain at all.. I am very weak on the upper right side including as I mentioned hand, arm, shoulder, etc. I also haven't been sleeping well and am very tired all the time. I just recently read articles related to people having muscle neuropathy from taking Lipitor. If this is true? Why hasn't my doctor suggest that I quit taking Lipitor to see if my symptoms go away? I am thinking about removing the Lipitor from my daily routine to see what happens. I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
(female)

Tight Socks HB User
Re: Lipitor

Stop taking it now, I would recommend. I had the same thing happen, except for the xrays. It is from the Lipator destroying your muscles. I stopped taking the same dose and finally it went away, but only slowly.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
(male)

Scottie23 HB User

Thanks for the response. So you had pretty much the same symptoms.. I have only been having pain on the right side. Were you also having pain symtoms on your right sid? When you stopped taking the Lipitor, how long before the tingling, numbness and pain went away? If this is true and my symptoms are coming from this medication, I don't understand why my doctor didn't suggest STOP taking the Lipitor for a while? I don't understand? I guess it's all about the BIG Drug companies making $$$$$ at the expense of other people's health.... Bottom Line... I stopped the Lipitor on 11\21\2007 and will wait to see if and how long it takes before the pain goes away. Thank you for the response..

Old 11-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
(female)

Tight Socks HB User

I just typed in a long reply but lost it when I went to add a word. Second time I have had that happen. Does anyone know why that happens? Anyway, you might want to consider thoracic outlet syndrome. Years ago I had it on my right side only and it caused pain and numbness of my arm and eventually my hand as well. Finally my hand began to curl up and that was scary. It was cured by a relatively simple operation which made the pain totally disappear. The pain that I had from the Lipator was different in that it was on both sides of my body and affected my upper legs, shoulders, back and upper arms. Pain became so bad that I could barely lift my arms to brush my teeth. I knew it was from the Lipitor so quit them immediately and the pain began to slowly lessen, thank God. Took about 4 mos to totally disappear and then the dr. put me on the one that works in your digestive tract, but they too began to cause the same kind of pain, so I said that is that, I refuse to take any pills for my cholesterol (can't for the life of me remember how to spell that word). I will just live with it.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Nerve / muscles damage due to statins can be very serious and permanent. I learned all this since I am for 5 years on them (Lipitor now Vytorin). I wonder why your Dr put you on this meds with 225 cholesterol. Usualy they don't like to do it up to 250 and up. My was 260, he put me on a diet, just to check if diet can work and when it fell, he put me on meds.
I would stop and check with another DR. Why your Dr wouldn't suggest? They are too busy sometimes for us, sometimes we are just a #, that is why I believe in doing your research and being proactive. Sometimes we have to be our own Drs... what can we do?
Best of luck to you, feel better.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
(male)

thylantyr HB User

My friend was 400 total cholesterol. A 40mg statin drug was prescribed. This brought the cholerestol score to about 200.
Due to some clogged arteries, my friend got neuropathy, lack of
blood flow, nerve damage, etc. Even so, I wasn't thrilled with
the statin intake. I told my friend to stop the statin and consume
a dietary supplement regimen [vitramins/minerals/EFFA/antoxidant/amino acid].

I took cholesterol scores at home weekly and noticed that the
machine was reading cholestorol in the 270 range. Then I doubled
the fish oil from 4 grams to 8 grams daily and the cholesterol score
didn't take long to hit a new baseline low of 230 range.

To summarize:

1. Total cholesterol = 400
2. With statin drug, 40mg, the score is now 200
3. With no statin drug, with a heathly dose of supplements, the
score was 238 [hospital lab]. This isn't too shabby, the hosptial
'red flag' was 239. The doctor prescribed vytorin, the 10mg dose.

I took some more home cholesterol readings and the scores
were consistent in the 165-170 range. With a low dose vytorin +
vitamins [especially the high dose of fish oil], the scores are very
nice now.

The next goal would be to get more excercise and try to get off
vytorin and let the dietary supplements do their magic.

I also have my friend taking extra CoQ10 pills as there is data
that this supplement should be taken if you consume statin drugs.

Last edited by thylantyr; 11-28-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

My PN began after I started Vytorin. I also had pain and weakness that spread from my feet up through my buttocks. I stopped Vytorin and the pain and weakness subsided but the PN remained. I blame the Vytorin for my PN.
Don

Old 12-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

paulo60 HB Userpaulo60 HB User

I also had to be taken off of Lipitor because of severe leg cramps at night, which is considered a serious side effect and generally warrants a change in medication. There is a health food product that is made from the fatty alcohols from the waxes of plants like sugar cane, it is called Policosanol, it might be worth looking into. I ended up taking lovastatin, not because I have ever had high cholesterol, because I never have. But I did have a heart attack, so since it is considered genetic, my cardiologist wants my cholesterol which is now down to 120 to be as low as a new born baby. There are alot of pros and cons about statins. You can read on the same page how great they are as well as how horrible they are. But if you have any side effects, then the drug causing them should be discontinued; and if you do have high cholesterol and feel like you need to do something, thyhantyr posted a recipe. I doubt very much that there is a known connection between statins and neuropathy, unless you are allergic to them, in which case anything is possible. Good luck to you...Paulo

Old 12-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
My PN began after I started Vytorin. I also had pain and weakness that spread from my feet up through my buttocks. I stopped Vytorin and the pain and weakness subsided but the PN remained. I blame the Vytorin for my PN.
Don

Hi Don,
I posted above that I didn't think there was a known connection between peripheral neuropathy and statins, I apologize for my ignorance, there is some anecodatal reports that do link the two. Having had a very painful and aggressively degenerative peripheral neuropathy for over 20 years I have read time and time again that if a substance is the cause of PN then the removal of that substance will relieve the PN. We all know that peripheral nerves once damaged don't regenerate; but since there are hundreds of them, if the source of PN is a product or something you are allergic to, the PN has a good chance of clearing up and causing no further damage, unlike inherited types or those caused by long term exposure. I could be wrong, but if vytorin caused your PN and you no longer take it, I guess the question would be well how long did you take it, and if you are seeing a neurologist, does he think the worst is over? I certainly wish you all the best...Paulo

Old 12-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

Paulo,
I took the Vytorin for five weeks. Pain progressed from my feet through my legs and into my buttocks. I became so pain ridden I finally could not get out of bed. Finally I got through to my cardiologist who prescribed the Vytorin and I told them of my symptoms. They told me to stop immediately and then denied prescribing the Vytorin. Over the next few weeks my pain subsided but I was left with this PN in my feet. I had seen many MD's about it and all refused to admit my PN was caused by a statin. I did some research and found evidence of a link between the two. I finally found a MD who agreed with me and I got my PN DX. However, it doesn't change a thing, I still have PN, and I am still trying to find a way to live with it. I am resisting taking Neurtonin or Lyrica as long as I can in the hope that a new treatment may become available.
Let me make this clear, I am not saying statins cause PN in everyone. Probably the amount of people who develop PN from statins is very, very, small. For me, it has been about four years and the the PN is still there. Some days are better than others. One problem I recently realized was in climbing a stairway, that is, leg weakness and loss of balance.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:47 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Don,

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. I wouldn't wish PN on my worst enemy, if I had any. And then the cardiologist denied it? Well, that is ridiculous, he had to have given you a prescription that you filled at a pharmacy; so he is stupid as well as uncaring. Yeah, sense of position is affected by PN, which makes balance tricky. Did you say you have gone to a neurologist? If so has he/she run any labs or done a nerve conduction or EMG? I had ten years of crap, like neurontin, elavil, topamax, a slew of others including lyrica and cymbalta, although those drugs didn't come out until my neuropathy had hit the severely advanced stage. I have had a genetic study done to see if it was CMT, the inherited type of PN, it came back showing a mutation, but not one that was known to medical science; but I do have the clinical features of both CMT1 and CMT4, de-myelinating and neuroaxonal, plus heart disease and very bad arthritis with nerve compression at many sites in neck and lumbar spine. But for my day to day quality of life, the neuropathy is without question the absolute worst, as it pumps a steady stream of neuropathic pain signals that only opioids can diminish, not eliminate, just get it down to a level 3. But you really do need a complete neuropathy work up. If they can identify precisely what triggered it, outside of your objective sense that it was the vytorin, which it very well could have been, they might be able to suggest a treatment that can slow down the process, and that my friend is something that you definitely want to do, slow it down. Protect your feet also, even if right now it seems as if the neuropathy is elsewhere. One of the sneaky and insidious changes that some neuropathies instigate is architectural changes in the feet, because certain leg muscles that connect to foot movements become weak and then the foot starts to ever so slightly shift, and gradually bones shift too. But enough of that, I don't want to scare you. Find out as much as you can, and best of luck to you...Paulo

Closed Thread