It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
(female)

Janni1259 HB User
Wink Lyrica vs. Neurontin

Hi All,
Just a question ....
My husband has been Taking Lyrica for his neuropathy with great results...But the cost is getting to us and the Pharmacist said that Neurontin and Lyrica are in the same class of drugs and would be cheaper. What I would like to know is...will neurontin do the same thing for him? What are the side effects of neurontin? Thank you for any help and information you can provide.
Jan

Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
(male)

thylantyr HB User
Re: Lyrica vs. Neurontin

My friend took Neurontin for about 2 years and switched to Lyrica
for about 1 year. The end results seems to be the same.

The only thing to note is that the Lyrica dose is much lower than
the Neurontin dose so if you move to Neurontin, you will be taking
alot more miligrams to get the same results as Lyrica.

For example, my friend took a total of 3,300 mg of Neurotin per
day.

With Lyrica, 300 mg is needed to get that same result.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I was on Lurica and switched to Neurontin since I got side effects.
Neurontin helped me more with my neuropathy pain; the only thing both of them made me gaine a lot of weight (one of the side effects) and made me sleepy and tired.
but like everything else, it works differently on everybody, it worth to try.
My Dr switched me to Keppra due to side effects and seems it works better than both the above meds... go figure.
Best wishes...

Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
(male)

thylantyr HB User

I believe that Neurotin and Lyrica can cause water retention. To
offset this effect, my friends complex vitamin regimen that was started after taking these meds helped purge excess water. It takes time. Also, the doctor gave a very low dose diuretic, this kept the weight
gain under control. Thanks for the Keppra tip, I will pass that along.

Last edited by thylantyr; 11-28-2007 at 09:48 AM.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Everyone responds differently to medications and their possible side effects. I was on Neurtontin clear up to the max dose of 3600mg/day and it was not helping enough so the PM doc switched me to Lyrica last year. It does suck that it is a $45 copay instead of $15 like the Neurontin but it is worth it for me. It definitely helps my nerve pain much more thant the Neurontin did. Of course I am on alot of other medications to treat the pain.

It has definitely taken alot of trial and error in my medications to finally manage (not eliminate <--wishful thinking) my pain. I will tell you that the Lyrica (600mg/day for me) puts me in a fog. I have slowed down thinking, tired, drowsy and kind of spaced out. I hope this helps.

Brian

Old 12-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
(male)

lsuhimel911 HB User

I tooked Gabapentin(generic neurontin) for about 2 years with good relief. I figured I would give Lyrica a try. I find that I have to take 250 to 300 mg of Lyrica to get the same effect as 1800mg of neurontin. Both of them have given me any bad side effects. Both of them seem to work equally the same. I would agree about the water retention though. Herbal Teas help me keep the excess water off.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
(female)

duronell HB User

What kind of Herbal Teas are the best for water retention?

Closed Thread