It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
(male)

dcrisp HB User
small fiber neuropathy

I was diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy. I dont believe it's a correct diagnosis. Symtoms are pins and needles or creepy crawly skin all over my body. I have no burning or pain. It is most noticable at night so I have great difficlty sleeping. It occurs 60% of the time but other times I'm fine. I swear it has more to do with the weather, foods or somehting other than neuropathy. I have had blood tests done, thyroid checked, etc. Can anyone help with this.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
(male)

gislat HB User
Re: small fiber neuropathy

My neurologist thinks I have it too but I have the burning sensations. What work up have you had? Did you have any MRI studies? Also there is a test called EMG which is normal in small fiber neuropathy. Have you tried neurontin? It's a good drug to start with since the side effects are minimal. Good luck I know how horrible this can be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrisp View Post
I was diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy. I dont believe it's a correct diagnosis. Symtoms are pins and needles or creepy crawly skin all over my body. I have no burning or pain. It is most noticable at night so I have great difficlty sleeping. It occurs 60% of the time but other times I'm fine. I swear it has more to do with the weather, foods or somehting other than neuropathy. I have had blood tests done, thyroid checked, etc. Can anyone help with this.
The small fibre's job is to recognize cold, heat and pain, when they are not working right they send confused signals to the brain, how the brain interpets that confused signal can differ.
With my small fibre damage, when the day got hotter so would my feet, high sugary carbs use to aggravate the heck out my feet.
Gluten sensitivity is something you might want to check out, it can affect the peripheral nerves.

Last edited by Aussie100; 11-28-2007 at 10:27 PM.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:54 AM   #4
(male)

dcrisp HB User

Thamnks you all so much. I had just read about gluten sensitivity. I'll check that out for sure. Thanks again.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Neuropathy is the result of something else going wrong in the body, although PN is sometimes reffered to a disease its really a symptom, were the cause can be Diabetes, viral, toxity, compression of a nerve, low B12, autoimmmune etc, i think there is approx 200 known causes and unfortunatley many idiopathic [no known cause] even with very intensive investergations, finding the cause is most important.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
(female)

anwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB User

I have been dealing with PN for 2 years now. I have all the classic signs of small fiber neuropathy(burning, pain, temperature issues,numbness) but my neurologists refused to test me for it and simply said that it would not change my treatment. If you are like me it is too hard to just sit back and do nothing. So I contacted a company called Therapath and asked for a list of doctors in my state that do the epidermal punch biopsy. I had an appt to see this doctor on 11/29 and he was great and really understood why I would want this test and even said he would want to know too. Since I had driven 5 hours he was willing to do this simple biopsy to see for sure if the small nerve fibers are damaged. I have had hardly any pain at the two sites and they seem to be healing well but the 10 day wait for the results is tough. On top of that this doctor has seen cases of SFN that were toxin related. Get a second opinion. This was the 4th neurologists for me in 2 years but it is worth it to me to travel 5 hours from now on b/c I know this doctor is an expert.

Closed Thread