It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User
Unhappy please help with question abnomal emg &nvc and act test

------------------------------------------------------------------------------not act mri
had emg ang ncv for sereve wrist drop,can't move wrist or fingers up,this happen 2 weeks ago i woke up like this,no i don't drink.
emg&ncg finding evaluation of the right radial motor nerve showed prolonged distal onset latency(2.0ms). all remain nerves within normal limits.
needle evaluation of the right triceps musle showed increase insertional activity,moderately increase spontaneous activity,increase motor unit amplitude,increase motor unit duration,moderaterly increase polyphase potentials,diminished recruitment,and moderately decrease interference patten,all reamining muscle showed no evidence of elecetrail instablity. impresion there is eletrodiagnostic radial focal never entrapment@ the spiral groove in right upper limb. i also have serve cervial stensiois with many bulging disc with spinal cod compression. also there is s small posterior central disk bulg with indentation of the anterior thecal sac. and c4-c5 large posterior central disk bulge prottrusion. there does appear to be anterior cord contact. there is deformity of the anterior cord contour.ther is also a marked narroring of of the ant to post diameter of the thecsal sac the lateral diameter of the sac is normal.alsoc5-c6 on posterior central and slight right paracentral disk protrotion with anterior central cord contact is possiblitity,though streak artifact at this level renders evaluation difficult.and at many level there is narrowing of spinal canal what does this mean? how bad is it? do i need surgry? at dr said that this was not a great prognosis and i need to see a surguon,he said he may want to wait a little while before he does surgry,but he said this is pretty bad. i am scared. i need to know what this stuff means the dr never has enough time to talk to you.what can you tell me base on the info i gave ?what are my chances? please help as much as you know what you say is only an opion.also right radial (2.0) right triceps ins act ins,fibs+1,pws. bracials muscolocut,ins act incr,fibs 2+,amp incr, dur>12ms,recrt reduced,intn pat 75%(what does these mean whow bad is this? please answer all questions?sorry so long i just needas much input as poss.terissa please all others help me i am crying all day everyday.sorry so long i go see a hand surggon tommorow he also does some cercival.

Last edited by kelsey1; 11-30-2007 at 11:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: please help with question abnomal emg &nvc and act test

just an FYI here.i would hold off on any actual hand surgery or any extremity type of surgery til you know for certain that all of this is not actually stemming from your c spine issues.you do have alot going on up there which could be casuing your hand symptoms and not actually a nerve problem down past the c spine.you know what i mean?i would very highly advise you to seek out a good experienced neurosurgeon for your level of problems.and also obtain more than one opinion form another neurosurgeon.you do have alot of rather significant c spine issues along with actual cord contact,that NEEDS the overall knowledge and expertise of a good neurosurgeon.they will go over your films and the reports and let you know just what your actual options are as far as surgical intevention is concerned.but do not actually DO anything with that hand til after you have spoken and consulted with the NS.the hand issue could possibly be corrected with a cervical spine surgery.you wont know exactly what you are really dealing with here til you have had at least one NS consult.just don't make any surgical decisions til you have some idea of just what is actually causing what.there is a spinal board down below just a little scroll away from this one.i really do think you need to pop in there and see what others who have been in your shoes have to tell you as far as advice.this is the board where you really need to be.please keep me posted as to how things are going for you,K? marcia

Old 12-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

thanks so much for your help,i am so scared,i went to the hand dr because the neologist think there are 2 seperate problems, hand dr (ns)agrees ,i do have an app with onther hand dr and i am also getting a appt with a reg ns .hand dr said that i need to deal with this problem first but i told him i was also going to a reg ns,anyways he made an appt to make a slint i have one on that they give you in the er but he want one made to fit my hand and that would keep it straight.i am goin to start therphy for my hand and go back in 6 weeks. my neck has got 10 times worse in the last 2 years mri wise,and pain wise,but i do see a pm dr and most of time i am ok but some times pain meds don't work.i just keep thinking if i wait more i will get in worst shape.what do you guys think? i am going to have to file for disablity,i hope i don't have to wait for ever i just got married so at least i have insurance now thanks,kelsey

Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

you just really DO need to make absolutely certain that before any surgery gets done on that hand that this IS an actual nerve issue below the c spine and not a problem that is actually stemming from the c spine issues itself,you know what i mean?i would think,given your symptoms that the hand doc would actually WANT to wait til the neck issues got sorted out and see how the hand does before going in and doing something that may not realistically even be needed since the problem "could' stem from the possble c spine problems.you DO have cord contact among other things here,and that alone "could' be an issue with your hand,or even just part of it anyway.the nerves that go to your fine motor also run thru that cord to some degree.i only know this as mine were damaged becasue of my spinal cord surgery.i lost the fine motor in my left hand,hence the bad typing?

getting a good knowledgable experienced opinion by a neurosurgeon that actually does various levels of spinal cord surgeries really would be your best bet as far as getting the best overall opinion of just what particular c spine problems could be casueing certain symptoms,like the hand drop.you just NEED to be very certain before any surgery is done.getting that hand fitted splint tho is a really great idea.i wore a lumbical brace on my left hand for months after my surgery hit that fine motor out of service.i also was able to gain some of it back with therepy,still not perfect but at least it has some function.it was just totally lame post op.

just get that other opinion from a NS who knows before the hand surgeon does something that may or may not really help if the real reason behind it lies up in the c spine and not further down.it would appear from your EMG that you do have upper arm involvement too.that would have to be stemming from your c spine area there somewhere.you don't appear to specify right or left hand with the drop or the EMG findings.is this all in the same arm/hand or both?Marcia

Old 12-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hi .thanks so much for your help. i totally agree i don't understand why the hand dr isn't take my c-spine cat scan more serious as far as my hand also,it is my right hand and if i didn't have this slint on now i would not be able to type even,now my left arm is going numb.i don't understand why i am getting worst by the day because at the er i could at least make a fist(dr said that the reason i could make fist and not move my wrist and finger up was because that was a different mucsle) now i can't use those mucsle either,when i try they are so tight it feels like something going to break and also there was a whole lot of pain at er now there is in my whole arm,i don't know if that is good or bad?did you have any of this?also are you able to work? thanks in advance?kelsey

Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

i had one more questions my cat scan also said that the cervical soft tissue show scattered small,not pathologically enlarge lynodes? whisc i understand as a masses,how could they tell from a cat scan that it is not pathologically?the only way you can tell if a mass is cancer is a biospy? i know that for sure do you know what this is and what could cause this thanks bless you

Last edited by kelsey1; 12-03-2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread