It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
(female)

Blondeone33 HB User
Unhappy Looking for someone who has had experience with femoral nerve damage.

I have a right knee arthroscopy on June 13, 2007. After the swelling subsided from the surgery I started physical therapy at the end of June. I was there 2-3x a week, working on getting my leg strength(mostly quad strength) back. I had a difficult time the entire time being there but I kept trying and pushing forward hoping to enjoy some of my summer. Well it turns out the reason I was never progressing and my muscles never strengthened is because I have right femoral nerve damage. I am looking for someone who has had any type of experience with this type of nerve damage ... I would really like to see how things progressed for someone else.

Thanks

Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

john449 HB User
Re: Looking for someone who has had experience with femoral nerve damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondeone33 View Post
I have a right knee arthroscopy on June 13, 2007. After the swelling subsided from the surgery I started physical therapy at the end of June. I was there 2-3x a week, working on getting my leg strength(mostly quad strength) back. I had a difficult time the entire time being there but I kept trying and pushing forward hoping to enjoy some of my summer. Well it turns out the reason I was never progressing and my muscles never strengthened is because I have right femoral nerve damage. I am looking for someone who has had any type of experience with this type of nerve damage ... I would really like to see how things progressed for someone else.

Thanks
The answer will depend on where and in what way the femoral nerve was damaged (disease, trauma, entrapment, etc.). Hopefully your doc can sort it out. Then he can give you some sort of prognosis. Good Luck...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
(female)

Blondeone33 HB User

Hi John.
Thanks for the reply. I had an appointment on December 6th at a neuromuscular diagnostic clinic and they called on December 5th and cancelled "due to their error". I couldn't believe it seeing as I had been waiting since November 9th for my appointment to come. Anywho, they rescheduled for December 18th. The whole point of going to this place is to find out exactly what is wrong with the nerve, why, etc. The EMG can only tell that there is femoral nerve damage.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

john449 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondeone33 View Post
Hi John.
Thanks for the reply. I had an appointment on December 6th at a neuromuscular diagnostic clinic and they called on December 5th and cancelled "due to their error". I couldn't believe it seeing as I had been waiting since November 9th for my appointment to come. Anywho, they rescheduled for December 18th. The whole point of going to this place is to find out exactly what is wrong with the nerve, why, etc. The EMG can only tell that there is femoral nerve damage.
"due to their error" sounds good eh.. Just wanted to mention that EMG can tell you a bit more than just "femoral nerve damage". They (if they are good EMGers) will check the adductor muscles, a couple of peroneal mucles and some paraspinals which will allow them to distinguish between a femoral neuropathy and an upper lumber root or plexus injury. An important distinction as you can imagine. Gives you a little ammunition when you go for the EMG.. Good Luck...

Old 12-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
(female)

Blondeone33 HB User

That's some great info. Thank you.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
(female)

Blondeone33 HB User

So here's an update of what ended up happening ..
I finally got told that the femoral nerve damage was due to the tourniquet
used in my surgery.
All I can do now is go to physical therapy..I can't drive, go to school (I was in nursing school and had to drop out seeing as I was into my hospital clinicals and can't be depended on as my leg spontaneously can give out )
I'm dealing with it as it comes, I just am really frustrated. I'm only 21 and was just getting to be independant and now I really can't. The neuromuscular doctor I am seeing in Boston explained to me that it is very rare for it to last this long without any improvement. It will be 7 months tomorrow since my surgery.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

john449 HB User

That's a bummer. There are knee braces that limit knee flexion which protects against the collapse you get with weak quads. Lets you get around but as I'm sure you already know braces are not ideal.
Unfortunately, tourniquet palsies are not uncommon but unusual in the femoral nerve, not that knowing that helps. Have they checked for scarring around the nerve which might be interfering with regrowth? Also, there are separate branches to the four heads of the quadriceps, are they all involved? Finally, any activity in any part of the quads? You probably already have the answers to these questions but, if not, might be useful to know. Best of luck for a good outcome...

Old 03-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
(female)

shorty57 HB User

You seem to know a lot about femoral nerve damage. I wonder if you could share any info with me. I had a hip replacement (third hip surgery) four years ago and since then have femoral nerve damage. It was untreated for eleven months and I developed RSD as a result. I'm certain another hip surgery is in my future and do not know what to be cautious about. Can you share any information with me. Neurosurgeons tell me it is permanent and a new surgery cannot correct.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
(female)

diane from seat HB User
Smile Re: Looking for someone who has had experience with femoral nerve damage.

Hi
I just read your post. Did anyone answer you? I'm in the same boat as you, I had a hip replacent nearly 5 years ago, I still have a foot drop.paralasis of different part of foot and ankle. I take alot of pain killers so I can handle it but it is not any better, I wish I had good things to say but I am still looking for answers myself/ I do wish you luck

I am a dummy, I thought you had a different injury that me and I see now that you are getting some answers,This looks like a pretty good site , I am not used to writing posts but I still do wish you the best, You poor thing,

Last edited by diane from seat; 03-12-2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: didn't understand her injury

Closed Thread