It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
PN and Stairways

I have had PN for several years. Last year I was officially dx'ed with PN. Until recently I had always had single floor homes. Recently I moved to a townhome and I find I am having problems using the stairway. I have some weakness but my main concern is the lack of feeling in my feet leave me with a "out of balance" feeling. There are times I think I am about to fall and this has me very concerned as I live alone. Has anyone else experienced this?
I am seriously considering finding another single floor home even if it means buying another home.
Don

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
(female)

simsim HB User
Re: PN and Stairways

Hi, I have PN too. I don't know if this would help you, but I had extra railings installed in my townhouse in the stairwells, so I could hold the railing on both sides. It helps quite a bit. I sometimes think I need to move to a one-level place, but then think that maybe I should try to stay here as the walking up and down the steps is probably good for me, keeping me flexible etc. There will come a day when I can't go up and down steps, I am just trying to prolong the time before that comes. I am afraid if I move to a flat house, I will 'lose' my ability sooner. Don't know if that is true or not! But having railings on both sides has allowed me to stay here longer.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Re: PN and Stairways

SimSim,
Thanks for your post. I think you have a good idea with the two railings. However, I rent this town home. You also make a good point about exercise too, however, I have always found a flat area to walk that meets my exercise needs. I have made up my mind to buy a single floor rancher again. I just wondered if there were others who had the same problem on stairs. It seems odd because I don't have any walking issues on a flat surface.
Don

Closed Thread