It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
(female)

lola37 HB User
what if my nerve biopsy is normal

I had a nerve biopsy and the results are yet to come back. All the other test that i have had done for a peripheral neuropathy have been normal. what will happen if my nerve biopsy is normal as well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
(female)

anwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB User
Re: what if my nerve biopsy is normal

Hello Lola. I have had symptoms of pn for two years but like you the emg and ncv studies were normal. I was evaluated for everything but the tests were coming back normal. My symptoms started with numbness, burning feet, cramps, and muscle twitches. I then began to have balance problems and severe pain. In November of 2007 a new realization that I could not feel cold temperatures below my knees led me to the epidermal punch biopsy. The seven days that followed were tough. The biopsy came back positive for both a decrease in nerve fiber density and swelling of the axons. While having the biopsy, I asked the neurologist the same question you have posed. He said that he felt like we were in the right area but if the biopsy was negative then it would be time to take another look at the brain and spine. I hope that you get an answer soon b/c I know exactly how you feel. Not knowing has got to be worse than accepting and dealing with your condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
(female)

lola37 HB User

Thank you soo much!! That is one of the most comforting things anybody has ever told me, i hope in a strange way that it isn't normal and I can finally have my life back maybe. Agian thanks soo much

The Following User Says Thank You to lola37 For This Useful Post:
June89 (03-04-2012)
Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
(female)

anwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB User

Hey Lola. I had already posted my reply to you when I realized that you had a sural nerve biopsy. Don't be surprised if that comes back negative if your emg was normal. If it does then you might want to have the epidermal skin biopsy that especially looks at the small fibers(A and C fibers). This procedure is very non-invasive and looks for both nerve fiber density and changes in the parts of the nerves. If you want to know more about this search for a company called Therapath (located in New York). Keep me posted!

Closed Thread