It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

unsinkable47 HB User
Wow!! A place to vent, where people can relate!

Hello,

I am new here but am so glad I found this message board. I have had questions about neuropathy and noone to ask. I will try and not run us out of room.

I have had problems with my feet for atleast 15 years. Doctors use to tel me to lose 15 lbs, buy different shoes things like that. Well I was diagnosed with Restless leg Syndrome and it has esculated since then. I have several question I have wanted to ask people with neuropathy and they are...Do your legs jerk involuntarily when pain shoot thru your legs and feet? Do your legs someimes go out while walking? Do you have to sleep in a recliner or elevated in bed? (I have slept in a recliner for atleast 10 years). Has anyone else had problems with their vision, does neuropathy affect that? Does this just get worse, is there no end? Does anyone else feel as if you have turned into a whiner/complainer?

I don't know what to do next. I have carpal tunnel but they won't do surgery because of the neuropathy. They say it won't do any good because of the neuropathy. They can't find out why I have neuropathy because I am not diabetic. I have had an MRI done to check for spinal stenosis. I am not suppose to have it but I do have all bulging disc but 2 from my neck down. I have osteoarthritis in my neck, I guess the spurs and putting pressure on my spinal fluid (or something like that) They also say that they may do a dye test in my lumbar area to see if they are missing a stenosis, I guess I do have some of the symptoms. That is why I am not sure if all my symptoms are from neuropathy.

Does anyone else get up in the morning just feeling like you were ran over by a truck and just hurt all over? I am not sure if that is neuropathy. Does eveyday of your life revolve around just getting thru the day? I hate this and don't know what to do about it. I use to be a very active fun individual, I was always considered the rock of my family. Now I feel as if I am a burden to everyone around me.

What keeps me going is that i know there are people out there that have worse problems. So, I put one foot in front of the other and tell myself to stop whining and I keep going.

I thank you for reading my post, just the venting makes me feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
(female)

catspajamas HB User
Re: Wow!! A place to vent, where people can relate!

Hi...I am the same symptoms as you do...have had neurapathy/pain in feet, ankles now for about 7 years...Statin cholesteral drugs contributed to my nerve pain...So had to go off of them....I also have fibromyalgia...have you went to a rheumatologist to see if you have fibromyalgia....thats how I used to feel when I got up in the morning....just aches all over...like you had the flu....I went to Mayos when I had the numb/.hurting feet. they ran every neurological test they had and all came up negative...They said in a percentage of people they never find the reason for neurapathy... My fingers get numbish sometimes but that can be from fibromyalgia too...Fibromyalgia has a lot of symptoms besides achy muscles....colon problems...short of breath..rapid pulse, intolerance to hot sun...and on and on...I think that would be your first thing to do is see a rheumatologist..they are the only ones who know how to test for fibromyalgia...

Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
(female)

unsinkable47 HB User

Thanks for the reply Catspajamas,

I know they have never found out my caause either. I do know it is very frustrating to deal with it day in and day out. Whenever I start to feel sorry for myself I think about how other people suffer chronic pain also and that I am not alone. So, I just take one day at a time. What else can we do huh?

Best Wishes always,

Marcy

Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Marcy, you right about that all you can do is take it one day at a time. Enjoy the good days when you have them and on the bad days, rest and relaxation is the best thing you can do. I always know that when the weather changes mine's going to really act up so I just sit around and do as less as possible. Which it also helps that I have a great husband who helps me out on the bad days. But when the weather is good and my pain level is down, I try to make the best of it. Like for instance, I planning to go to New York with my daughters in March and I'm really looking forward to it. I've never been and have always wanted to go at least one time. So we're going to do the mother and daughters then that we do at least once a yr now that they're grown. I know I were probably pay for it when I get back. But at least I on disability and know I will able to get plenty of rest when I come back. Being about to spend time with my daughters will well be worth it though.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
(female)

unsinkable47 HB User

Hi Rayefaye,

Sounds like an exciting trip. Getting away would be nice but unfortunetly, I have to work so I can't take trips. I am waiting on disability but am still working only part-time, and I work as a customer service rep. from my home. For that I am fortunate but to tell you the truth there are days it is still hard to get motivated.

I am a single parent but have a wonderful ex-husband he helps me out a lot. I have 2 kids grown and gone (wonderful grand babies) and 2 teenagers still at home. I have to brag for a minute about my 2 teens they are great boys. They actually rub my feet for me on a daily basis (bless their hearts) not too many teens would do that. They are my support because they ae the ones that are with me daily and unfortunetly the ones that have to deal with my short comings.

I am curious to know though...Do you know of anyone (on this site or else where) that has to sleep in a recliner, that has neuropathy? Or with neuropathy does anyone else have problems with driving or sittng in a chair?

I can't be in a regular sitting position for very long it causes me agonizing burning and sharp pains (more than usual). I have to sleep in a recliner with my legs proped up with pillows and that is how I have to sit also. If I sleep in a bed I cannot hardly get up in the morning but once up I can work it out but then my legs are feet are so much worse so I don't make it to far from my recliner.

I don't know if this is a result of neuropathy or something else. Any feedback on this would be great. I don't personally know of anyone with neuropathy and have just recently found this site. I have looked to see if anyone else has these issues but so far have not found anyone.

I am grateful for this site because it s nice to know that there are people out there that understand.

I thank you for reading my post and wish you well,
Marcy

Old 01-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Marcy, glad to hear you have an ex-husband who is willing to help you out that's a rarity. Also glad to hear how your sons are helping as well childern can wonderful when you need help. My daughters are grown but at Christmas time they came over and put up my tree for me. My husband is also a great help as well and helps do everything from vacuming to washing the dishes for me. I don't sleep in a recliner but I do have problems with riding in a car too long or sitting to long especially in hard chairs. If I sit too long when I get up it feels like the blood circulation has been cut off to my legs and I'm get real woosy feeling. That was one of my concerns about going on this bus trip but my daughters assured me that I could get and move around on the bus. So hopeful, I won't have too much trouble going but I hate to disappoint them. They are so looking forward to me going with them. I just hope the weather cooperates with me because that's the one thing that causes me bad flare-ups. I hope you are able to get your disability and don't give up even if they deny you. Just keep trying till they give it to you. Then maybe when you receive it you'll be able to enjoy going on a trip some where even if it not that far away.

Closed Thread