It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

sistergldnhair HB User
Talking Wow, I think I could belong here...

Hi everyone. My name is Eileen. I am 41 years old and have been diagnosed last year with neuropathy. My neuropathy developed after my gastric bypass, and severe vitamin B deficiencies. I was very sick, on tube feeding for 6 months, and got my bypass reversed in June. So I am on the mend, but unfortunately, my vitamin deficiencies were undiagnosed for a long time, therefore the nerve damage is not likely to reverse. So I have gone through MRI's, EMG's, sensory nerve studies, spinal tap, because I thought I had MS all along. The doc said I do have neuropathy in my right foot, drop foot, nerve damage in my arms, hands, not that severe, but do get numbness and tingling there. The worst is my right calf/foot.
I also have nerve damage in my neck, and I get numbness, and burning in my head from this. Sometimes feels like bugs in there.
Question...it was a nutritionist who diagnosed my vitamin deficiences and therefore, I have not gone back to my neurologist...should I? Is there anybody I should be seeing regularly for this? I have mostly been seeing my nutritionist, and bariatric surgeon, and kinda feel that now I am on the mend, that I am stuck is this ICKY body, with these problems, and I am out there on my own.
Thanks for your help....I appreciate any answers I can get. Or maybe just someone who understands.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Wow, I think I could belong here...

Hi, i am surprised that your neuro didn't include a b12 blood test in his workup,
seeing it can be one of causes of nerve damage, nerves can repair if they are in the right environment, mine has but it is a slow process, i have been taken 1 multi B vitamin every day and 1 b12 supplement as well every day, if you can get b12 methylcobalamin it is much better than the b12 cynocobalamin, as the cyno has to be converted by our liver to get the active form [methylcobalamin]
so if the b12 methyl is available it is a much better option, at least 1 mg a day.
The b12 methylcobalamin is large molecule and is best taken on a empty stomache for better absorbtion.
good luck
Aussie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

sistergldnhair HB User

Actually I had my blood tested alot during my post Gastric Bypass years. My levels were always "in range" but due to the malabsorption part of the surgery, they ultimately were not in range enough for me. The nutritionist found the B1 and B12 deficiencies in my tissues, different blood tests apparently from the regular ones the doctors order. B1 levels were basically not existent, causing what has now become known as "Bariatric Beri Beri". I do take B vitamins now, and although I have gained weight after the reversal (I was 290 pre-op and went down to 104 lbs. in less than 2 years, and was basically a skeleton, with no body fat whatsoever), and I feel healthier, like I am "nourished", these symptoms remain. Thanks for your help!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Your nutritionist really knows their stuff, testing what is in the tissues is what really counts, normal blood tests only test what is floating around in the blood which is not as good, but can give a rough indication of levels at least.
I have only minor burning these days on very hot days, i have found taken equal amounts of Thiamine during the day helps with that burning and also alpha lipioc acid supplements has helped a lot too.
I am glad you have an excellent person looking after you.
Aussie

Old 02-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

don'tlikecold HB User

Also, see if the doctor would consider prescribing B-12 injections. I found those to work so much better than the tablets. They are easily done at home after a little instruction. It is like a diabetic who gives themselves insulin injections. I only take one injection of 1cc per week. Though I don't actually have a B-12 deficiency, I noticed a huge improvement in my energy levels and decreased electrical shock sensations. For you, the results should be much greater. Show your neuro the results of the tests the nutrionist did.

Closed Thread