It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

barrypatch HB User
Leg weakness, trouble walking

Hi:

This is my first post. I was diagnosed with neuropathy six weeks ago. It's a result of chemo, I just had my last treatment in January. I can only take Neurontin 200 mg at night, because it makes me so drowsy.

I have leg pain and trouble walking any distance. I am 49 and was in great health until my cancer diagnosis last year. I can walk around the house, but if I walk too much, my legs get very weak. Stairs are a problem and grocery stores are out of the question. I am going to use a scooter next time I go.

My oncologist thinks it's from the neuropathy. I was also anemic during treatment, but that has resolved. I see him again this Thursday and supposedly the neuropathy will go away eventually.

I am really concerned about the leg weakness and difficulty walking. Does any one else have the same issues?

Thanks.

Nancy

Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
(female)

unsinkable47 HB User
Re: Leg weakness, trouble walking

Hi,

Yes, my legs get weak and heavy. I can no longer walk thru the stores either. If I do go shopping I pay for it afterwards.

Take care,
Marcy

Last edited by unsinkable47; 02-17-2008 at 06:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrypatch View Post
Hi:

This is my first post. I was diagnosed with neuropathy six weeks ago. It's a result of chemo, I just had my last treatment in January. I can only take Neurontin 200 mg at night, because it makes me so drowsy.

I have leg pain and trouble walking any distance. I am 49 and was in great health until my cancer diagnosis last year. I can walk around the house, but if I walk too much, my legs get very weak. Stairs are a problem and grocery stores are out of the question. I am going to use a scooter next time I go.

My oncologist thinks it's from the neuropathy. I was also anemic during treatment, but that has resolved. I see him again this Thursday and supposedly the neuropathy will go away eventually.

I am really concerned about the leg weakness and difficulty walking. Does any one else have the same issues?

Thanks.

Nancy
Hi Nancy,
I just saw your post and wanted to reply. My husband finished his chemo in December and has severe neuropathy which has gotten worse since chemo ended. He's taking Neurontin and tylonol and does get the heavy legs but mostly it's in his hands, and he can't use his fingers or control them well enough to write legibly. He's been seeing a neurologist and was told it could take up to a year to go away, and maybe never be completely cured of it.

I'm curious,what chemo were you on? He was on Folfox and it's the oxaliplatin that causes it. Had we known the severity of this, I think he might have opted to not take the full regimen, because now he can't work and his disability insurance has just run out.

You might want to try alpha lipoic acid -it's a supplement and supposed to be helpful with neuropathy. I do hope that you find relief soon, and my prayers for complete healing.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
(female)

barrypatch HB User

I had four rounds of Adrimyacin/Cytoxin, then four rounds of Taxotere. After two rounds of taxotere, I developed neuropathy and weakness in my legs. I went to the oncologist today, I was supposed to start surveillance mode, but he doesn't want to do that until we see what is wrong. He was really baffled, but was going to make some calls and see if he could consult with other doctors and come up with a reason. He took some specific blood tests and is supposed to call me today with the results.

I stood for 35 minutes in my candle shop last night, then walked up the steps and was so weak and my legs hurt so bad. After I sit for about 15-20 minutes, it gets better, but I can still tell I did too much. When I bend my feet upwards towards my knee, I can feel a real pull in the back of my leg. We really think mine is muscle related and he mentioned myopathy. I am anxious to hear what he finds out, I am so ready to get on with my life after battling breast cancer the past eight months.

Thanks.

Nancy

Old 02-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
(female)

tammylynn63 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsinkable47 View Post
Hi,

Yes, my legs get weak and heavy. I can no longer walk thru the stores either. If I do go shopping I pay for it afterwards.

Take care,
Marcy
I also have heaviness in my legs and arms, and they get weaker the more I use them. If I may ask, what are you diagnosed with that causes your weakness?

Old 02-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
(female)

Lisa123526 HB User

Hello all.... Not sure what I was doing when I tried to post.
I'm a lurker here.
I just wanted to comment on your post.
I had back surgery a year ago.. Prior to that I had leg pain for about 2 years that got worse. This leg pain was mostly in the back of my leg. I also had back pain. I have spinal stenosis. I ended up getting a decompression laminectomy.
I had an emg done before my back surgery and was told that I had nerve damage. After the surgery my pain went away down the back of my leg as well as my back pain. But...........
I have been having leg pain in the front of my legs. Prior to the surgery I had it off an on for about a year.
I was diagnosed with Peripheral neuropathy. I take 1800 mg of neurontin daily...
I don't see my neuroglist anymore because he said he was done with me. I now see a pain management doctor.
I see him every two months. I'm about done with him. I never get a straight answer. He dances around with the answers to my questions.
I guess I got off track here. sorry about that...
I use a forearm crutch to walk alot.. I get stabbing, burning pain in my legs... I limp alot if i'm not using my crutch... I do use the electric scooters in the stores alot as well....
Well I feel your pain... to a pain free future...

Last edited by Lisa123526; 02-28-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
(female)

unsinkable47 HB User

Hello tammylynn63

I am new here so not sure but I am assuming with the quote it is regards to my issue. I have neuropathy, bulging disc (every disc). Osteoarthritis of the cervical spine (neck) and I also belileve if they checked it out I would have some kind of lumbar spine problems also. I also have carpal tunnel that they won't fix because the docs say it won't do any good because I have the neuropathy and my hands will just continue to get worse.

And they were right they are I now have pains, burning tiredness in my arms and hands and I also drop small objects.

But after over 3 years I regained some feeling in my feet! I don't know why and hope it last.

I wish you the best

Last edited by unsinkable47; 03-06-2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo

Old 03-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
(female)

gemma31 HB User

Hi i have just had a sural nerve biopsy, i am waiting for my results, i have been having tests on my legs for the last two years, I started with numbness in my feet, which has now travelled to my hips. i have had a lumbar puncture, bone marrow biopsy, nerve
conduction tests, and still no positive results. My legs burn and are really sore to touch,
all i have been told is that the nerves in my legs are damaged.
The lumbar puncture showed i have protein in my blood, which means i have to have regular blood tests. At the moment i just feel like a guinea pig as it is test after test, the next one is next month more nerve conduction . anyone any ideas ?

Last edited by gemma31; 03-23-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Closed Thread