It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

sallie46 HB User
Test Results

Hi, I just got these test results, does anyone know what they mean?

Electrodiagnostic Testing: Abnormal study.
There is clear evidence of a generalized sensory and motor polyneuropathy; symmetrical; distal primarily; sensory> motor,demyelinating and axonal.

Thank You

Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
(female)

sallie46 HB User
Re: Test Results

will someone please tell me how bad these test are I can hardly walk today.

Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi, Sensory nerves are the small nerves responsible for sensation throughout the body.
Motor nerves are the larger nerves responsible for all voluntary skeletal and somatic movement such as moving the leg or arm
Polyneuropathy is the simultaneous malfunction of many peripheral nerves throughout the body, Polyneuropathy usually affects both sides of the body equally.
distal primarily - mainly affecting the extremities like hands or feet.
Demyelinating meaning there is damage to the protective covering (myelin sheath) that surrounds some of the nerves.
The axon runs right in the centre of the nerve then covered by the myelin sheath, the nerve signals transmit through the axon itself.

One of the most common reasons for polyneuropathy can be due to diabetes, but may be due to lots of other possibilities, like excessive use of alcohol. Nutritional deficiencies (such as vitamin B deficiency), Anemia due to vitamin B12 deficiency (pernicious anemia) may also cause chronic polyneuropathy. Other causes include an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism), liver failure, and kidney failure. Rare causes include certain cancers, such as lung cancer, and taking excessive amounts of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine).

Your neuro will send you off for tests to hopefully find the reason this is happening.
good luck anyway,
Aussie

Old 03-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
(female)

sallie46 HB User

Wow!! Thank You so much

Closed Thread