It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
(female)

newbrunswick HB User
Reduced reflexes in left foot

Not sure if this is the right forum.

I started experiencing numbness and lack of strenght in my left foot about 3 years ago. It is now at a point that I use a cane to walk. When I have my reflexes tested, they have a very difficult time to get any reaction. I learned the hard way not the test the bath water with my left foot as I scalded myself - it felt actually cool to the touch, but when I got into the tub, my right foot quickly realized the water was too hot. I actually use my leg muscles to walk, as the left foot will drag if I don't. I even had a large red circular rash on my left ankle as a kid - never followed up by my parents. I have a similar smaller circular rash on the top of my foot. Each doctor has looked at it, but no one can indicate what it is. One said it was a bruise, however, I've never known a bruise to last 2 years. It does not look like a lyme rash however - just a circular rash - no itch or pain - just there. My partner also says that my feet are freezing - however they don't feel cold to me. I've always hated wearing shoes - I like walking barefoot - however when I'm wearing shoes or slippers, they are still cold. I also walk in-toed since I was a kid - predominately my left foot toes in more then the right. The Neuro is suggesting that my foot problem is congenital. Also, when the docs are testing my reflexes - its always on a flat surface - when I walk down stairs, my foot is very stiff and I have a difficult time going down. Going up is no problem - just going down.

I had a car accident about 15 years ago with low back injury as a result on my left hip. I keep asking if this injury is related to the foot problems. Everyone keeps saying no however.

I had numerous tests - mostly from a cognititave perspective. Dizzy spells, word finding difficulty etc - no diagnosis yet. Right now I want to concentrate on the foot problem - any ideas of what direction I should take on this to resolve the problem. At 45 I do not want to go thru life unable to fully do what I enjoy.

Any input would be appreciated. If this is the wrong forum - please advise which forum would be best.

Last edited by newbrunswick; 03-30-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User
Re: Reduced reflexes in left foot

Have you had a MRI of the c-spine?

Perhaps you need to see a different neuro too?

Good luck - try to get answers!!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
(female)

newbrunswick HB User

Thanks! Have not had an MRI of spine - just of the brain. Yes I need a new Neuro - there are only 2 in my area. However, I'm hearing that there is a new one coming in. My primary care giver is also leaving, so I am going to get a new Nurse Practioner hopefully. Maybe some fresh eyes can help. Do you have any insight on what causes reduced reflexes? Everywhere I look talks about Hyper reflexes not Hypo reflexes. Sometimes I just want them to amputate my leg from the hip - not really, but thats how I feel sometimes.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
(female)

cream9518 HB User

I have Peripheral Neuropathy which started with burning feet. That was about a two years ago. Went to a neurologist that is in Somerset, NJ. He is also in Princeton and Monroe. I had all test available and the last test was a skin biopsy which showed a damaged nerve. Now I am experiencing numbness and burning on ankles and up. Have been on high doses of Lyrica and since I am having more pain the neuro put me on 100mgs of Lyrica. Have been taking percocet which both my GP and Neuro docs said it wa ok. It helps me to forget what I have but keep wondering what is next. I hope you can see a neurologist that will help you. God Speed!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbrunswick View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum.

I started experiencing numbness and lack of strenght in my left foot about 3 years ago. It is now at a point that I use a cane to walk. When I have my reflexes tested, they have a very difficult time to get any reaction. I learned the hard way not the test the bath water with my left foot as I scalded myself - it felt actually cool to the touch, but when I got into the tub, my right foot quickly realized the water was too hot. I actually use my leg muscles to walk, as the left foot will drag if I don't. I even had a large red circular rash on my left ankle as a kid - never followed up by my parents. I have a similar smaller circular rash on the top of my foot. Each doctor has looked at it, but no one can indicate what it is. One said it was a bruise, however, I've never known a bruise to last 2 years. It does not look like a lyme rash however - just a circular rash - no itch or pain - just there. My partner also says that my feet are freezing - however they don't feel cold to me. I've always hated wearing shoes - I like walking barefoot - however when I'm wearing shoes or slippers, they are still cold. I also walk in-toed since I was a kid - predominately my left foot toes in more then the right. The Neuro is suggesting that my foot problem is congenital. Also, when the docs are testing my reflexes - its always on a flat surface - when I walk down stairs, my foot is very stiff and I have a difficult time going down. Going up is no problem - just going down.

I had a car accident about 15 years ago with low back injury as a result on my left hip. I keep asking if this injury is related to the foot problems. Everyone keeps saying no however.

I had numerous tests - mostly from a cognititave perspective. Dizzy spells, word finding difficulty etc - no diagnosis yet. Right now I want to concentrate on the foot problem - any ideas of what direction I should take on this to resolve the problem. At 45 I do not want to go thru life unable to fully do what I enjoy.

Any input would be appreciated. If this is the wrong forum - please advise which forum would be best.

Closed Thread