It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

ladyj2 HB User
Can peripheral neuropathy come and go?

Hi,
I get these pins and needle sensations and electrical shocks through out the day and some times my legs just ache. These symptoms may last for weeks to a couple of months and then disappear for many months.
I do not know if I take Ibuprofen for other stuff if that makes the symptoms go away or if they just go away on their own only to come back later. I do not have any numbness or loss of motor skills.
I took Cipro several years ago when I had the first incident. If Cipro caused it would the symptoms last intermittently like this for years?
Because the symptoms come and go does that mean there is no nerve damage...would it show up on a test if I have no symptoms at the tim of the test?
Thanks in advance

Old 04-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
(female)

cream9518 HB User
Question Re: Can peripheral neuropathy come and go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyj2 View Post
Hi,
I get these pins and needle sensations and electrical shocks through out the day and some times my legs just ache. These symptoms may last for weeks to a couple of months and then disappear for many months.
I do not know if I take Ibuprofen for other stuff if that makes the symptoms go away or if they just go away on their own only to come back later. I do not have any numbness or loss of motor skills.
I took Cipro several years ago when I had the first incident. If Cipro caused it would the symptoms last intermittently like this for years?
Because the symptoms come and go does that mean there is no nerve damage...would it show up on a test if I have no symptoms at the tim of the test?
Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
(female)

cream9518 HB User
Re: Can peripheral neuropathy come and go?

Dear ladyj2, you may have the beginning of PN. I started with burning feet a little over two years ago. Had all tests and the last one was a skin biopsy which showed nerve damage. Now I have burning and numbness ankles going up my legs. I also have electrical shocks on my back and tingling throughout my body. I have been on high doses of Lyrica but since it has not helped I now am on 200mgs a day. I also have been on percocet to relieve some of the pain. You must get to see a neurologist before your ailments worsen.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

Hi, Have you had a nerve test done? That will show problems even if there are no current symptoms. Talk to your doctor.
Cindy

Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
(female)

ladyj2 HB User

I just got a referral to a neurologist. I was concerned about going if I didn't have current symptoms that it would not show up and be a waste of time. It sounds like there is no cure just pain treatment. Do most people just get worse and worse or do many stay mild. I am only in my 40's so I hate to think there is no way to halt this... I can't imagine what I will be like at 70!!! Thanks

Old 04-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
(male)

woondog HB User

you don't have to have pain when you see a neurologist .....pain comes
and goes.....if you're a diabetic, it might come if you ate too many
carbs, ...or you can get it from the state of your nervous system, etc.
Luckily, you got pn now.....we are so close to a "cure"..so I am confidant
that you not have a major problem with PN some years from now>
the woondog

Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi Ladyj, i am wondering if you have any lumber spine problems, perhaps it could be mechanical in nature seeing it comes and goes, muscles can go into spasms and pinch nerves, does the weather seem to have any affect on your symptoms ? i have cervical problems which always gets worse in winter, but it still can be aggravated easily in any weather, just seems worse in the colder months.
If it was me, i would defiantly see a neuro and get it checked out properly.
good luck with it anyway, i hope you can find the cause.

Last edited by Aussie100; 04-14-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
(female)

ladyj2 HB User

Thanks everyone! I am not diabetic....I had a very mild case of gestational diabetes 17 years ago and controlled that with diet. I had hurt my back fell off a bike 20+ years ago and sprained it.
What has stayed pretty constant since last July is it feels like I pulled a tendon in the back of my knee and when I walk I can feel it. Seems better with rest, don't know if it's related. I get aches in my feet (not burning)and alot of the time my legs below the knee feel like they are sleeping and I feel like I have to think to move them. They always move fine, not numb or anything. Did I read that anxiety can cause these symptoms too? If so then is it really PN or similar symptoms?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

I know that anxiety can aggravate nerve damage but not cause it, seeing your not feeling the burning sensation which usually means the small fibre nerves are damaged then the larger nerves or nerve roots should be looked at, possibly an EMG, Nerve Conduction test and a MRI might find out what is going on, really need a neuro to check it out for you.
good luck

Last edited by Aussie100; 04-15-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Closed Thread