It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
(female)

jma295psu HB User
Periperal Neuropathy of the Peroneal Nerve

Has anyone had any experience with this? I had a reconstruction done on my left ankle where a bone spur was removed from my talar dome. Unfortunately, no one told me that the peroneal nerve runs right there as well. I ended up with part of the nerve trapped in scar tissue and another branch forming a neuroma. I had the nerve freed and the neuroma removed. This has been almost a year ago, and the symptoms are back with a vengeance.

I deal daily with burning, tingling, shocks, etc. At 23, I don't think I should have to just deal with this. It's unbearable, even with narcotics. I have been diagnosed with RSD, CRPS type II, and various other things. All by different doctors. The problems are specific to the deep peroneal and superficial peroneal nerves that were damaged in the original surgery. Can anyone tell me if there's hope? I am so frustrated right now.

Thanks.

Jean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
(female)

Tanya8 HB UserTanya8 HB User
Re: Periperal Neuropathy of the Peroneal Nerve

HI Jean...I have peripheral neuropathy because of an involvement at the knee, and this all started 5 months ago because of a broken femur bone. I know what your are going through with the pain, the pins and needles, etc, and I can only tell you what helped me...I got off the narcotics and the Lyrica very slowly and started taking B vitamins...B1, B12, all of them, but it was particularly B6 that helped with the pain. Of course, I still feel the tingling, and sometimes it's worse than others, but I take nothing stronger than tylenol if I become uncomfortable.

Last edited by Tanya8; 07-01-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: needless quote - you are the first to reply!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
(female)

flip71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya8 View Post
HI Jean...I have peripheral neuropathy because of an involvement at the knee, and this all started 5 months ago because of a broken femur bone. I know what your are going through with the pain, the pins and needles, etc, and I can only tell you what helped me...I got off the narcotics and the Lyrica very slowly and started taking B vitamins...B1, B12, all of them, but it was particularly B6 that helped with the pain. Of course, I still feel the tingling, and sometimes it's worse than others, but I take nothing stronger than tylenol if I become uncomfortable.
As for the night time, I sleep with a multi podis boot...ask your doctor or PT about it, and it keeps the foot at a 90 degree angle and somewhat immobilized. Although this took some getting used to, I like it now, because when it's in the boot, my foot feels perfectly normal and I can sleep just fine.
As for the RSD, CRPS, I really thought I was developing that too, and so did my doctors. I was fitted with a plastic AFO,---don't know if you have to wear one of those to walk like I do-- and it was sooo painful and awful, and my foot and toes would change colors and be so sensitive. I finally refused to wear the thing and got fitted with a new carbon one. Almost immediately, my foot felt better, and I walked a lot better as well. I've only had it a week, but my foot looks and feels 100% better because it's not being tortured when I try to walk. It still turns a little red, but there is 70% less pain, an no more blue toes.
As for the freed nerve and the neuroma, have you checked with your doctor /surgeon to see if the scar tissue didn't grow back or if the neuroma has returned? Perhaps it's just as simple as that.
Never give up hope on returning to full function...nerves are really strange, and you never know when they are going to heal...if you have any questions, just post again....

Tanya 8
Tanya
Did you ever get a nerve release surgery in the knee?

Where did you get the carbon brace? I think we spoke before. I have a brace similar to yours. Is the 'long bar' portion on the side of the leg or the back. The plastic afos that are pre-made have the bar portion in the back.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop72171 View Post
Tanya
Did you ever get a nerve release surgery in the knee?

Where did you get the carbon brace? I think we spoke before. I have a brace similar to yours. Is the 'long bar' portion on the side of the leg or the back. The plastic afos that are pre-made have the bar portion in the back.
Hi Flip-flop...I don't think we can mention particulars on this website, but my carbon brace has one long thin bar...about 1 1/4 inch wide...on the back of the leg, which curves around the ankle to a very thin sole plate, which goes under the insole of your shoe... I had the custom made plastic brace and from day one it was a nightmare and very painful...

Last edited by Tanya8; 04-30-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop72171 View Post
Mine has the bar on the side of the leg. I don't think it matters. Just was curious. The brace I had before this was plastic and had the bar down the back. I hated it.

This one I have now is much better but the itching is terrible? Do you have that? The itchy part is near my calf. I think it is from the cushioning material used to line the brace. My dr said to clean it a lot with alcohol but that smells. I also tried baby powder but it does nothing. Sometimes i scratch so much I get so terribly irritated, the calf bleeds.
HI Flip Flop,

I'm happy to say that so far I don't have any itching at all...I only have the brace for about a week though, so I don't know how it will work out in the future. How did you get foot drop and have you had the nerve release surgery? I was just wondering, since I don't remember speaking to you before...take care...

Tanya

Closed Thread