It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
(male)

Roadworker HB User
Any1 on the medicine called " Gabapentin" for nerve pain?

Went to a neuro Doc yesterday and she put me on medicaine called Gabapentin for the neve pain i am getting. Was wondering what i can expect from this medicine? Has anyone used this before?

Also my EMG test show Mild Radiculopathy in L5 S1 , when i ask the neuro doc she told me the damage to nerves is perm now and not much can be done except help the pain and get theraphy for the leg muscles, Does this sound right ? and how can she tell it is perm just by looking at emg report.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Any1 on the medicine called " Gabapentin" for nerve pain?

Have they tried any anti inflammatory drugs and physiotherapy yet ? sometimes the combination can help some people, even acupuncture has been known to help some with nerve irritation causing referred pain, might be worth a shot if it hasn't been tried as yet.

Aussie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

just a tip i do myself for a similar problem in my cervical spine, i apply a heat bag to the affected area for no more than 10 minutes before doing any stretching exercises and i only stretch until the muscles start to to pull and then stop, i hold that position for 10 seconds and then repeat, i found trying to do exercises without applying the heat first only aggravates my condition more so.

Then there are some that say you shouldn't use heat on an already inflamed area, use cold packs, i say, do what works best for you, the cold packs did not work for me , actually made it worse.

Also an MRI is usually done before any real definite diagnoses is made, you don't mention anything about it though ???

Some people swear by Neurotin for nerve pain, i was one that couldn't handle it though, made me to grogy, but everyone is not the same.

good luck with it anyway.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
(male)

Don12345 HB User

I have taken Gabapentin for several years now. Started out with low dose I think 300 mg once daily. Didn't do much good. Presently I am taking 3 - 600 mg daily. It seems to help some. Doctor said I could take as many as 5 daily and I took 4 daily for a while and found that it didn't do any more good than taking 3 daily. I still have pain but it is tolerable. I've been afraid to take 5 daily. It's supposed to effect the brain. I have found that I have poor memory from taking this drug.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
(male)

Roadworker HB User

Yes i had MRI done in Feb and they found a herniated disc L5 S1 w/ impinging on spianl canal.
Had a EMG test done april and found mild Radiculopathy, i went to see a neuro Doc about emg test results and she put me on these 2 300 mg at bed time.

I have extreme pain in back and thigh , and calf muscle. Thigh and calf mucsle have Muscle Atrophy she said .
She also told me that damage is most likely perm, is that possible?

Mike

Old 05-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
(male)

warpman HB User

Gabapentin is Neurontin, I believe.

Closed Thread