It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
(male)

Slimlad HB User
Question Vitamin B12

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question.... or two...

I have heard that vitamin B12 is essential for healthy nerves and that most people on a healthy diet should not be defficient unless they have some health problem. My blood tests show no such problem.

I am currently taking Gabapentin (900mg per day) and was wondering if anyone has tried taking extra B12 in order to help with the unpleasant sensations associated with PN.

If you have tried this vitamin could you please let me know the following:-

1) Have you had any improvement in your symptoms since you started taking it and if so how long were you taking it before any such improvements?

2) What dosage per day?

3) Were you advised by/did you consult your doctor before taking this?

I notice that the RDA of this vitamin is very small but the dosage recommended by certain sites for helping with PN is vastly more. Is this dangerous?

Thank you in advance.

A Peaceful day to all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Vitamin B12

Hi Slimlad, when i first got neuropathy i was very deficient in B12, but i did eat foods rich in B12, i believe that some people don't absorb the vitamins out of food as good as others for whatever reason, diseases like diabetes which can cause frequent urination which depletes the B vitamins quickly.

I have read that by Japanese PN experts standards, a serum b12 score of less than 500 is very suspicious of b12 deficiency, then they use mega doses of B12 methylcobalamin on their PN patients, up to 60 mg's daily.
B12 needs the other B vitamins to work with for max benefits, so i think it is wise to take a good quality Multi B be taken every day as well.

A B12 Methylcobalamin supplement is a large molecure and should be taken on an empty stomache for maximum absorption [ so the stomache has not got anything else to contend with ] at least 1mg or up to 5 mg daily, injectons of b12 hydroxocobalamin are good too, b12 Cynocobalamin supplementation is ok but it has to be converted by the liver to get the active form [methylcobalamin] so it takes longer to build up good storage.
B12 is water soluble, so what the body doesn't need it will urinate out the rest, you can not overdose on b12, it is not dangerous at all, nerves are reliant on the B vitamins for nourishment, B12 it is not a cure all for all PNer's because of the huge amount of different reasons why the nerves get damaged, lack of b12 is only one reason out of the many.

Aussie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 01:26 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Vitamin B12

I should have added that i have been taken Multi B & B12 every day for over 5 years now, my nerves have been repairing over all that time, the cause of my nerve damage was Prediabetes & low B12, when nerves repair the best description i can think of is WEIRD, i had a lot of flaring of symptoms during that time as the nerves were trying to regenerate, but as the months/years went by the flaring was less and the severity lessoned very slightly over time, at first one could easily think it was getting worse because of the increase of symptoms at times, but it was not, thank god.
I know other idiopathic PNer's that claim that their PN has improved over time in various degrees by taking B12 Methylcobalamin supplementation and others haven't been so lucky, so i really do think it's an individual thing.
best of luck anyway

Closed Thread