It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

lynxgal HB User
Several Questions....

Hi I'm new to this forum....I was wondering if anyone here might have some insight to a few questions....

1. Does anyone know any diseases that can cause the loss of vibration sensation (tuning fork test) in the great toe and then have it return after a couple of months?

2. I had a NCV done and the prelimary findings were consistant with some sort of polyneuropathy. There appears to be a nerve block in several areas in my lower left leg and slowing in the velocity of all the other nerves tested. They also tested my arms with similar results. Anyone else have similar results?

Thanks for reading!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Several Questions....

Hi lynxgal, there are many causes but the most common are diabetes & prediabetes, toxic causes, vitamin deficiencies like B12 & folate, hypothyroidism, pressure on the spinal cord , Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) taken in excessive amount, certain cancers, liver or kidney problems, excessive use of alcohol which leads to Thiamine deficiency, some prescription drugs even cholesterol lowering drugs [statins] are well known to cause problems in some people and then there are some that can't find a cause [ idiopathic neuropathy ] even with the most intensive workups.

Others here may not agree with me, but I found most normal neuro's in the beggining of my pn didn't know very much about neuropathy at all, only the very basics, it wasn't until i found a neuro that specialized in neuropathy that the cause was found and treated.

good luck anyway
Aussie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
(female)

lynxgal HB User

Thanks for the reply Aussie.

I have all the vitamin, minerals, thyroid, liver, kidney ruled out already as the cause of my sx. The only med I'm on is Propranolol which I started about 3 weeks ago for suspected silent migraines. It's not doing anything for anything for the sx yet. I don't drink...can scratch that one off the list.

Also my sugar levels are just fine too. I'm getting a little concerned about the loss of strength I'm getting. Hope this will pass soon. Oh well, thanks anyway. Maybe well never find the cause.

Last edited by lynxgal; 05-30-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi again, may i ask what the B12 reading was ? the reason i ask is that sometimes what some doc's classify as normal range can be on the low side, by memory a score of less than 350 is suspicious but apparently going by the Japanese PN experts say a score of under 500 is suspicious of b12 defientcy.
A normal serum b12 test only really tests for how much b12 is floating around in the blood, not how much is in the cells, were it counts.
A methylmalonic acid test is a much better indicator of people being damaged by B12 deficiency, but unfortunately not always done.

i hope they find the cause of your nerve damage, best of luck

Aussie

Old 05-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
(female)

lynxgal HB User

In November 2006 - 4 months before the onset of all this..I went to see my doc re weird dizziness. Now I am no stranger to dizziness....have had undiagnosed episodes of dizzines on and off for 20 years or more.

At that time my Folic Acid was very low and my B12 was borderline. I have been taking supplements since Nov 2006. I have had these blood tests and a milliion others (lol) rerun about 7 times since then. He tells me the results are perfect. Exactly where they are suppose to be. I'll see if I can find one of the test results and post the numbers.

In March of 2007 I start to have balance issues.....tipping over....then extreme vertigo that lasted about 2 months before it settled down to mild vertigo. Which has never gone away. All the other sx have slowly cropped up. There does seem to be a relapsing remitting pattern with the severity of the sx.

Since my foot went numb for 2.5 months and then most of the feeling came back the doc ordered the NCV.

That's where I am now.....all theses symptoms....with all the tests I have had so far 3 have show some abnormal results....but nothing really adds up. Now the NCV seems to be quite abnormal so hoping that will point us in the right direction.

I'll go look for those test results.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
(female)

anwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB User

hello. I have decreased vibration sense in my big toes with weakness primarily on my right side. I also experienced a loss of balance, but that has improved. I had tingling at first but thankfully now I just have numbness. The tingling drove me crazy. My polyneuropathy has been caused by toxins. Maybe it is time to take a look at your surroundings to see if your symptoms might be caused by heavy metals or some other toxin. Ali

Closed Thread