It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
(female)

Boolori HB User
Klonopin or Depakote

Is anyone taking either of these drugs for their PN? I cannot take Neurontin or Cymbalta due to allergic reactions and the Lyrica makes me crazy! I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do. I even tried Mexitil but it was way to hard on my already bad stomach. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
(female)

Dalearden HB User
Lightbulb Re: Klonopin or Depakote

Hi Boolori,
I've been on Klonopin for Metronidazole drug induced Peripheral Neuropathy for 22 years, 1/2 to 3/4 mg. daily. It's been the best drug for my Neuropathy, as I have both motor and sensory Neuropathy, and it stops the burning on the bottom of my feet and the "Charlie Horse" cramping in my calves. I too tried Neurontin, but it didn't work!

The only problem I've encountered with Klonopin is that it doesn't mix well with many other drugs, but that may be my problem, which you may not experience. It has been the only drug that helped me, and frankly, since I'll be on it for the rest of my life, the addictive properties of it don't frighten me. Also, I have not had to appreciably increase my dosage in 22 years! Without it, I wouldn't have wanted to go on living, as my cramping was so bad, I couldn't stand it.

If you have Neuropathy, then you know that you are severely restricted as to what antibiotics and antifungals you can take as most of them with the exception of the Erthromycin group exascerbate Neuropathy, so I have to be very careful and try not to expose myself to sick people, which is quite difficult!

I hope this response will help you cope, and should you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,
Dale

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
(male)

chicagoprinter HB User
Re: Klonopin or Depakote

Hi,

I've been having cramps in my right theigh and never mention it to my neurologist. I thought it had something to do with low potasssium or magnesium and started taking supplements.

I'd be interested in learning more about cramps associated with peripheral neuropathy.

Thank You.

chicagoprinter

Old 06-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
(female)

Dalearden HB User
Re: Klonopin or Depakote

Hi Chicagoprinter -

Because of the "motor" part of my neuropathy, I get "Charlie Horses" (calf cramps) up the fronts and backs of both calves. As you well know, these are unbearable. That's where the Klonopin helps me no end. Without it, I wouldn't have wanted to go on living with these cramps, as they put me totally out of commission, i.e., all I could do was sit on my bed and rock back and forth in agony. No way to spend the rest of your life, that's for sure!

This is one of the main reasons I recommend the drug to folks who have Neuropathy, as it stops the nerves from firing and sending messages to the calf muscles to cramp. It's also great for stopping the stabbing nerve pain some people get from their Peripheral Neuropathies, diabetics in particular, who also, like me, get that awful burning on the soles of both feet, which the Klonopin also stops.

I'm amazed that more people don't take this drug for Peripheral Neuropathy, as it has the least side effects, and does the most good, imo. Most people who have Neuropathy or Peripheral Neuropathy have irreversible Neuropathies, and must always take the drug, so the addictiveness of the drug really isn't a consideration, i.e., I've been on what they consider a "pediatric dose" for 22 years now, (1/2 to 3/4 mg. 2-3x daily), with no need to increase it or tolerance build-up, and few side effects other than some dry mouth and lack of libido. I can live with this. I can't live with the cramps!

Hope this helps you!

Dale

Closed Thread