It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

spoiltmom HB User
Peroneal nerve entrapment without foot drop??

Hi everyone I'm new to this board. For FOUR Long years now I have had a terrible pain running down the side of my leg and into the top of my foot. After much persistance on my part finally in March of this year I saw a neurologist who ordered an EMG. He told me my S1 nerve was compromised and ordered an MRI. The MRI showed 3 disc bulges in my LSpine and a pinched S1 nerve. After physical therapy failed I consulted the best Neurosurgeon in my area. My appointment was this past Tuesday.

He says he really thinks my leg pain is due to Peroneal Nerve Entrapment and that since it's been this way for 4 years he is now concerned about permanent nerve damage. He also says that if it is Peroneal Nerve Entrapment that fixing is a very delicate surgery and he only does that type of surgery 1 time a year. He says can diagnose me but if he's right he wants me to go a neurosurgeon that is over 200 miles away to get surgery because he says my outcome will be better if I use a Neurosurgeon that has performed a lot of these surgeries.

I'm scared! I'm only 28 and the thought of permanent damage to my leg has me upset. I go in for a closed MRI on my Lspine and my leg in a couple of weeks and then he says he should be able to tell me for sure what's going on.

In the meantime I'm on Neurontin. He also says paroneal nerve problems are not common.

Is all this true?? Do you think that really could be my problem?? I don't have any pain in my hip or thigh. It starts on the outside of my leg about a half inch to inch below my knee joint and goes down the outside and shin of my leg and into my foot.

Sorry this is so long! ANy advice is greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread