It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
(male)

Beagleboy360 HB User
radial nerve palsy - semi drop wrist

Hello, iam 18 in good shape and healthy.
I have osteogenesis imperfecta and i was driving home with some friends, friend lost control and hit a pole. I broke my humerus in 5 places and internal bleeding. I had gotten out of the car, and layed down waiting for the ambelance. I had fuction of my fingers and everything. When medics got there, the put my arm in this ballon looking thing, that strightened it and kept it stable. They gave me laughin gas for the pain, and one guy grabed my arm and pulled it stright, hard. and the other put on that brace. After getting to the hospital, and a few hours later after the CT scans and ultrasounds. They took off the brace(baloon thiing) and i didn't have full control of my fingers, and i could barly move my wrist.
I had surgery and a plate put in to fix the break, they also checked the nerve at the same time.
They told me it was fine, that it was probably caused by the pressure of the swelling.
This is day 6 after surgery, i can lift my wrist so it is stright with my arm, not any higher. My fingers, i can control of my top 2 knuckes, but not my bottem ones. So i can pinch thing and grab, but cant open my hand.
I tried playin xbox360 to test my fingers, did not go to good.

What Im trying to find out is how long it shoukd take to get back to 100%. The doctor said 6 to 8 months. This is not good, i start university in sept.
And i write with my hand that was broken.
So im looking for anyone who has had expperice with this and how long i should be waiting for, for this degree of damage.

Wow this took a while to type with one hand.
Thanks alot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
(male)

eric edwards HB User
Re: radial nerve palsy - semi drop wrist

hI THERE. I HAVE VIRTUALLY THE SAME ITS CALLED RADIAL NERVE PALSY . I HAVE A PLATE AND 12 SCREWS IN AND THIS HUMERUS BONE INJURY IS 4 WEEKS ON . I AM HAVING PHYSIO THERAPY AND AM TOLD IT CAN BE BETWEEN 6 TO 12 WEEKS. IF THE DOCTOR HAS DONE A NERVE CONDUCTION TEST AND IT SHOWED OK THEN ITS A MATTER OF TIME . I RECOMEND YOU DO A SEARCH FOR THE PROBLEM THERE ARE PLENTY OF VERY GOOD WEBSITES THERE TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHATS GOING ON. LIKE YOU I HAD TOO MANY PEOPLE MOVING MY ARM AROUNFD AFTER THE INITIAL BREAK SO I AM WORKING AWAY . AS A MECHANIC I REALLY NEED MY MANUAL DEXTERITY. YOU MIGHT FIND THAT EXTENDING YOUR ELBOW IS A BIT DIFFICULT TOO . EVERYONE TELLS ME RECOVERY WILL HAPPEN JUST TAKES TIME. GOOD LUCK THE FACT HAT YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU ARE ABLE TO NOW IS A VERY GOOD SIGN .

Old 06-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
(male)

Beagleboy360 HB User

thanks for the reply, i have a quiick question.
you say you are 4 weeks on now. What can you do? From last week and not being able to move my wrist. Now iam move my wrist so its not flopped anymore, i can get it straight with my arm.
as for my fingers, i cant move my first knuckels up, only down, but the rest of my finger i can move perfectly.

I'm trying to find out a time line of what i can expect to happen any info would be great.

Anthony

Old 08-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
(female)

gilliand70 HB User

Hi there,

I fractured my humerous into 8 pieces after a car accident in April. They couldnt fix it so I had a total shoulder replacement. As a result of the surgery my radial and ulner nerves were damaged. Basically my whole left arm wrist and hand was left in a paralyzed state, I couldnt move anything and I had total wrist drop. It all seemed so bad and I thought my arm wrist and hand would never work again. I was completly incapacitated. I am happy to report that now, 4 and a half months on most of the damage has come back. I can move my arm wrist and hand and I've managed to get my elbow almost straight again! (I was in a sling for 3 months). I achieved this through physio, and working hard on the excercises I was given to do at home. I can even drive again now, although I had to buy an automatic car as I still don't have enough strength in my hand to change gears. I've been told it may take up to a year and a half for the damage to fully come back, but I can do most things with what I have now. I hope my story gives others out there who are going through the same thing some hope. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask,

thanks.

Closed Thread