It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

beachlovr HB User
I wore tight shoes and now have peripheral neuropathy please help

About 2 weeks ago I attended an event wear I wore prepregnancy shoes that I knew were a bit snug but they didn't hurt. I wore these shoes for 4 hours in which I did a lot of standing. When I got home that night, I noticed some numbness and tingling feelings in my feet. I figured "okay I'll never wear those shoes again" and figured that the numbness and tingling would go away. It has not. I went in to my regular doctor thinking that I might have diabetes but that has been ruled out with a blood test. I saw a podiatrist today and he diagnosed me with peripheral neuropathy and said that wearing the shoes instigated it. I am a little freaked out by this diagnosis. The doctor did say that 95% of the time that people in my situation will get better with time. He gave me some cream and exercises to do. He also gave me an oral anti-depressant but I am hesitant to take that. He also wants me using heat on my feet twice a day for 10 min. Does anyone have a story similar to this? Any suggestions on what to do? I was thinking about going to a chiropractor. Any advice is welcome.

Last edited by beachlovr; 10-03-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: I wore tight shoes and now have peripheral neuropathy please help

I would ask to be referred to neuro that specializes in peripheral neuropathy, diabetes is a very common cause of nerve damage but certainly not the only cause, there are over 200 known causes and many unknown causes but a neuro who knows what they are doing will give you all the proper testing and the best chance of finding the cause.
I personally doubt very much that tight shoes would continue to give you any grief after a 2 week period, probably just coincidental, best to get checked out properly.
best of luck anyway,
Aussie

The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie100 For This Useful Post:
Capewind (05-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

i agree with Aussie. Nerve injury from wearing tight shoes once? If you'd worn them for months through pain, maybe, but once? I'd seek another opinion.

The antidepressants are a pretty standard treatment for nerve pain. It doesn't mean he thinks you are depressed, another effect of certain antidepressants is that they change the way pain is processed, sort of turning down the volume. It might really be the right treatment for you.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I agree with everyone else that you need to see a Neurologist.

But the advice of heat might help is interesting.
I advise doing it while you seek for more help.

"In the beginning" of mine, which seems like eons ago, my first symptoms were just the needles and pins and numbness in my feet and legs, as though they were asleep and refused to wake up.

Got worse.. lots worse.. (but that's a diff story) and in desperation while waiting for Dr appointments.. I would come home from work and literally wrap my feet and legs in heating pads.
Somehow it relaxed me and made me feel like I was at least trying to help myself get better.

By the time I ran the gauntlet of Dr's, which took months, and got a PN Dx my left foot and leg were actually a little bit better than my right and I fully believe that my early adventures with the heating pad did me some good somehow.

It most certainly was no real cure for me.
But I do agree to try it and see if it helps you.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:08 AM   #5
(female)

beachlovr HB User

Thank you everybody for your advice. I still haven't taken the anti-depressant yet but am thinking that I will give it a try. I have also been massaging my own feet and lower legs using trigger point spots that I looked up online. I feel that the since using the lotion he gave me, the heat, and the massage that it may be a tiny bit better. I am still really worried about this. All of this started the exact night that I wore those tight shoes. I never had any symptoms like this before I wore those shoes that night. The podiatrist really did say that he had seen people like me who had the peripheral neuropathy from wearing ill-fitting shoes. It is just crazy. I also really believe in the power of prayer so I keep praying that this will go away soon. Any other suggestions or does anyone know anything about trigger point therapy?

Last edited by beachlovr; 10-03-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Trigger point therapy is the best thing ever.

When you find a trigger point, it's important to stretch carefully, and rub the whole muscle. When you press on it, don't press as hard as you can, it should cause little to no pain. I've had horrible TrP's in my upper back for about 10 years, self-massage is the best thing I've found.

Since my ankle injury, now healed, I've had a lot of trouble with my calf muscles, especially the peroneals. First I do a regular calf stretch, then a peroneal stretch, then rub the whole lateral side with a downward motion, then gently press any particular TrP's. It helps a lot, I don't get much heel pain anymore.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
(female)

beachlovr HB User

Well, I just got back from visiting the chiropractor. I have never seen this chiro before. I feel as though there are awesome chiros out there ranging on the scale down to terrible ones. This guy seemed somewhere in the middle. He thinks that I have a few things that helped this problem get to where it is. I also have some lower back issues that hadn't been bothering me when all of this came about but still could have factored into my foot problems. Also, what about accupuncture?

Last edited by beachlovr; 10-03-2008 at 11:04 PM.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
(female)

beachlovr HB User

Does anyone else have any advice? I still have the tingling sensations in my feet. They sometimes come and go, but they are usually there about 70% of the time. They used to be 100% of the time. Because it is now less of the time, does this mean I am healing? Can't nerves sometimes heal themselves? Is it better to exercise a lot or just a little? Does a TENS machine really help heal the nerves or does it only help in that moment? I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP. I am going to ask him these same questions. I will also ask for a referral to a neurologist too. I do respect the opinions of those of you out there that know what I am going through.

Last edited by beachlovr; 07-21-2008 at 06:59 AM.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Our opinions can't fix you, but rather just give you some our personal experiences in hopes somehting helps you.
You see, it seems that every case of PN is somewhat diff and diff things work on diff people.

I posted about about the idea that maybe somewhat heat helped my one leg and foot.
However be aware that was way way back in 1993 & 94.
Since this is 2008 you can be sure I have not yet found any cure.
As a matter of fact it is now in 3 limbs. Started in my left arm about 3 years ago.

Once I had my pain masking pills then it became a case of major pain being masked and Though my left leg and foot are no where near the problem of my right, there is no doubt both legs, feet and now my arm & hand are effected by the PN.

Without my pills we are talking ROARING electrical burning running up and down the leg, as well as the pins and needles, creepy crawlies and marshmellowy numbness sensations.

So my problem is not like yours and yet both are PN.

Mine is Idiopathic Sensory Axonal PN and as time passed it now has spread to one arm and hand.
I take Generic Neurontin.
The pills work for me but there is still some problems.
As time passes you learn to handel the problems.

A Neurologists will do tests and try to figure out exactly what type of PN you have and knowing that may help in point the true cause. You CANNOT fix the PN symptom without fixing the cause first. Many (including me) never discover the cause so we have to go with symptom control.

Now about your questions:

Back in the mid-90's I tried 10 sesions of accupuncture as well as Chinese Massage on the legs and feet.
The accupuncture was a waste of money and time for me but the Chinese Massage hurt fiercly, even with the pain pills. After each session I would go home and sleep like a log for 2 solid hours. Very expensive naps. Did nothing toward helping my PN.

I do currently see a Chiropractor, and have for a couple years now. Not for my PN but rather because he is helping my spine greatly. (I have osteoarthritis and osteoporosis but did not have those when I got the PN so it's not related) I love what my Chiroprator is doing to help me and I've been having very good results with what I am seeing him for, BUT my PN is not in any way effected

I've never tried a Tens machine, but once I stepped on the platform of the monster vibrating thing a therapist at The Chiro was using for someone else. I immediatly removed my foot! Holy Moly! The bad virbration feeling from that one second echoed up my foot and leg all of 2 days, even though I took my normal pain pills. If a Tens machine is like that then you couldn't pay me to do it!

I do take B-12 sublingual tablets and a B-Complex just in case they may somehow help, even though my blood test say that is not the problem. Been doing that for probabay 4 or 5 years now.
Spent one year getting B-12 shots once a month, which really gave me a better energy level but did not help my PN.

You have to remember everyone of us has a slightly diff problem and all lumped as PN.
Some things may help you and some things may not.
I do wish you luck in your search for relief.

Keep us updated, since someone may learn something from your experiences too.
Everyone's voice counts.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
(female)

beachlovr HB User

Snowmelts,
Thank you for your response. I have the electrical sensations that sometimes run up my legs too like you described. I also feel every vibration in my feet when my kids are running and jumping near me. I used a vibrating hand-held massager on my feet one night and my feet were vibrating still when I went to bed. It was awful! Is that what a TENS machine might do? Do you have any periods of time (even for a few seconds) were you don't feel the PN sensations that you usually have? Why can I sometimes have an hour long or a half-day long period with no PN sensations? Then it always comes back.

Last edited by beachlovr; 10-03-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

For me, those first 6 months were 24/7 solid pain.
I don't even want to remember it.
Visions of a wheel chair danced in my head.

Fast foreward to now....
I take a small but necessary dose of Neurontin 4 times a day WITHOUT FAIL.
This keeps the burning electrical pain gone.
To me that is the biggest thing and so I never go without that pill even though my dosage is unbelievabley small.
It also quiets the creepy crawlies a lot.
But there is never a minute where there are zero creepy crawlies. I simply ignore them. It's been so many years that now I don't worry about the small sensations as long as the pills help the bad ones.
Sorry about that.

However I can say my Neurontin works better for me than Carbamazepherine did. (I may not spell that right) Carbamazepherine was what I took the fisrt half dozen years or so and YES it killed off all the pain and all sensations. ALL sensations means I also had NO feeling in that area.
The Neurontin lets me feel, its craweling bugs feeling sometimes but hey its also awarness of things like the pressure I'm putting on the car gas petals. So I don't mind the small sensations as long as I can use the limbs to do my normal stuff. Life goes on.
I can also now move my small toe away from its neighboring toe and also can wiggle all my toes up and down and actually feel them doing it, which I could not do before I took Neurontin. I'm really very thrilled to have muscle control and sensation in my toes again.

The medication I take makes a big diff to me. But many people have to take 4 times as much as I do to get any relief so I'm VERY lucky.

Actually the shoes may not be a fault. It may have just "been the last straw". For me there was nothing really. I moved a bookcase the day before my feet fell asleep but that's all I did.
Lots of experiences on this board you should read and it will help you understand PN is so diff for everyone.

Anyway I hope you figure it out.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Me again.
It just dawned on me that you said this is in your feet... JUST your feet?
Ask for a sugar blood test, a good one. PN in feet as starting place is very common for Diabetics.

I'm not diabetic.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #13
(female)

beachlovr HB User

I have tried to think that maybe the shoes were just the last straw and it was going to happen regardless of the shoes.
To answer your question: Yes, it is just in my feet. I occasionally have it radiate up to my ankles and lower part of my lower legs. I did have a blood test done for diabetes back on June 26th that came back normal. Is there a more specific blood test that can be done?

Last edited by beachlovr; 10-03-2008 at 11:06 PM.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Did you just have a fasting glucose test in June ? if so, that test does not show how your system reacts to a glucose challenge as a 3 - 5 hour Glucose Tolerance test does, before i was diagnosed properly, one GP ordered a fasting glucose test and told me that i had no sign of diabetes whats so ever but once i found a neuro that specializes in neuropathy, he said that test is useless for testing insulin resistance [ Prediabetes ] which in some people causes the same nerve damge a a full blown diabetic can get, i done a 3 hour GT test and it was positive to Prediabetes, it is a good test to elimate at least one cause of nerve damage that to many doctors over look or are not up to date with moderm neurological findings.
best of luck
Aussie

Old 07-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
(female)

beachlovr HB User

All they did was send me from the physician's office over to the lab and they drew blood and sent me on my way. My blood was then sent in to be tested for diabetes was all I was told. I did not fast for this test. What type of test is best for determining prediabetes or diabetes??? Is there a name for this exact test?

Closed Thread