It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
(male)

woody147 HB User
peripheral neuropathy

I have peripheral neuropathy and would like to know how fast will it progress,
my feet have pain and numbness, and my fingers are tingling, can anybody tell me./ Thanks

Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
(female)

cream9518 HB User
Re: peripheral neuropathy

Hi woody147, Have you spoken with your neurologist. My neuro said there is no cure for PN but they can give medications for the pain. Have PN for two years and started with burning feet and bad electric shocks in my upper back. Have taken a lot of antidepressants which did not help. Taking 200mg of Lyrica a day, which is of no help. Also take 5mgs of Endocet (Percocet)when I can no longer tolerate the pain. I will ask for Elavel and see how this works for the pain and it supposedly helps you to sleep, which would be great. I am on the sleeping pill, Ambien, because pain in legs are worse at night. From burning feet and numbness in calves, and numbness also starting to get in fingers I wonder each day where else will it start. I am not diabetic and have itiopathic neuropathy. Keep in touch, better days are coming

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: peripheral neuropathy

Hi Woody, that's a hard question to answer because it depends on the culprit that is causing the nerve destruction, some cases can be aggressive and others may slowly get worse over time, but a lot can depend if the cause can be found or not.
Some causes that can be easily indentified through blood tests like vitamin defiencies, excess B6, insulin resistance & some medications can also cause nerve damage, cases like this can improve [ over time] once the cause is taken away, the peripheral nerves can regenerate if they are in the right enviroment, but it is a slow process, mine was caused by insulin resistance and now 5 years later on, it has 99 % gone and i take no medications for pain these days, thank god.
I didn't see any cause/s were mentioned in your post, I personally think it is paramount to have a neuro that is really experienced in neuropathy working for you [in my experience a lot of neuro's are not, in fact, some were really hopeless] but anyway then you will have much more of a chance of hopefully finding the culprit, but keep in mind that sometimes even with the most extensive workup's the cause isn't always found, unfortunatly.
I wish you well,
Aussie

Last edited by Aussie100; 07-13-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Closed Thread