It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

suewatters1 HB User
Nerve zap test

Hi everyone I have CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demylenating Polyneuropathy)
I also have tendinitis that is not going away it's been over 18 months. When I go see my Neurologist every 4 months she does the nerve test and twice did the needle in the muscle test.
I never asked her for the result. But if I did what would normal numbers be and what would be bad numbers be? She is sending me to see another Neurologist a very good one in September and I am getting a nerve test then. So I want to be able to ask for a copy of the results so I can compare with future results and also to know how close to normal are my numbers or how not so close are they.

I know last year I was put on prednisone for 2 1/2 weeks(for a hearing loss) the tendinitis in my hands improved some and I think that is why my next tests showed improvements. But she thought it was because I had 5 days of IVIG. I January I had 5 more days of IVIG and it showed very little improvements and slightly worse in some areas.
I am going in 2 days to see a new Rheumatologist for my Tendinitis.

So my question is what are the normal values in a test the highest you can go and the worse you can go.

Thanks for your time

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Nerve zap test

just get a copy of the overall results,there are just wayyy too many numbers given as perameters(when you get it you will see what i mean)to be able to tell you. they do give "normal" and "abnormal" as readings tho. i have had many of these 'fun" tests done too. this is called an EMG and nerve conduction study. thats what you want to ask for. but personally i really do think given your situation you may want to just ask for all of your medical records for your own files. you DO have a right to this info. i have to just to try and stay on top of all my medical issues. it does help alot,espescially when you have something that is progressive in nature going on. not only will you get any testing results,but also any clinic notes made by your neuro too. just keep udating things every so often. depending upon how often you see any doc,get your records like twice a year or once a year and keep everything most recent in some type of an expandable folder that you can take with you to all appts. this has helped me alot,espescially when some specific document or records have not been sent to another referred doc who you waited like months to see and someone "forgot' to forward it,you would have it right there in YOUR records. i never give up my own records ever,but tell them they can make a copy of MINE. just a very helpful suggestion thats helped me. good luck to you,Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
(female)

suewatters1 HB User
Re: Nerve zap test

Thanks Marcia I have been getting some copies of my files with some DRs it helped but I guess with the CIDP those nerve and muscle test I never asked because I was to shy to ask and felt like I wouldn't understand the mumbo jumbo of it all.
But on the CIDP board I asked the same question and a woman gave me 3 links to read and one of them was this one that talks about lower value and upper value.

[url]http://www.isno.nl/sorteer/protocol/?id=4[/url]
In September I go see a new Neurologist and he is one of the Best in Canada so I will ask the technician for the results.
You are right about having your files handy I have a printer scan and copier. Boy do I use my copier to have copies ready for my DRs.

Thanks Again

Sue

Closed Thread