It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

001tired HB User
Perm nerve Damage?

Hi all, I am new here but just need to connect with someone and see if I am crazy!
In Feb. of 08 I had neck fusion with hardware. Used my own bone. About 48 hours after surgery, my left arm just shook uncontrolably. This just horrified my family and friends to see this. Went back to surgeon and was always told it was the nerves waking up that it would go away. I am left handed and it happens on my left side, from shoulder down to hand. In May I had rotertator (sp) cuff repair. Same surgeon. I have also been in phy ther 3 x a week since before my neck fusion.
Shoulder pain is still with me, neck pain still there. It is a constant ache that feels like it runs from the base of my nect up into the left side of my head. Hard to explain......After seeing surgeon on reg. basis and telling him about the shakes, pain ect. I was told it must be in my head and he sent me to my M.D. for nerve pills and released me.
Thanks to haveing a great dr. and wonderful phy ther. who neither thinks this is in my head. I am being sent to an Ortho Sergeon this week. My p.t. is worried that something else is going on. I still cant lift a 1 lb. weight without pain and the shaking has gotten so severe that I cant hold a coffee cup. I take lortab for pain and muscle relax. to calm shaking down to rest. I have lost range of motion in my neck and with my left arm. I along with everyone else feels that my sergeon just took the money and ran and threw me to the wolves. I can deel with that, cant change it but was just wondering if anyone else has went through this and has same symptoms.
I am not a doctor but know my body and know that i now feel worst than I did before surgery.
My head is telling me that I might have perm nerve damage and it just kills me to know that I will be like this for ever. My shoulder pain I can deal with, my neck pain never goes away even with meds. It makes me crazy! I still have a hard time swallowing and feels like the front of my ncek swells with the pain. I am not to the depressed state yet but can feel myself moving that way. I try to keep my chin up but some days I just want to scream.
Please forgive my typing.... shakey left hand.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
(female)

001tired HB User
Re: Perm nerve Damage?

Thanks for your reply jsrail!I had my first appt with new doctor on Fri and he took xrays of my shoulder and said that everything looks good. After talking to him he sent me back for xrays on my neck.
Ok he showed me a spot just under c5/c6 where it was fused. He counted them down 3 times and said that it did not make sense that c5 and c6 were fused. His quote to that was "either the Dr fused the wrong level or something had went wrong becasue it looks like c7 is a mess. At that point I just cried and told him that the surgeon said all this pain was in my head ect. He was not happy to hear that and also said that there would be no way that he would do a shoulder surg so soon after neck fusion and none of the neruro surg. at his hosp. would let him.I asked him if I would have to have another surgery and he said he wanted to let neuro surg decide that , that was not his area but he does think something is wrong.Went for MRI on Mon. and see N.S. on Fri.
So here I am, dont know whether to scream,cuss or cry!I dont want to go through this again. I have been down for 6 months for nothing! My employer is already trying to force me out on disability from the first surgery. Seems I am a liability so this pretty much will seal the deal.
I am trying really hard to stay positive . I pray that if I have to do this again that I will be one of the ones that wake up and actualy feel better than before going under. I want to be able to hold my grandson again before he does not want to be held anymore!
Glad to hear that you are doing better. To heck with that sky diving stuff! lol!

Closed Thread