It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
(male)

Slimlad HB User
Question Small Fibre Neuropathy

Hello everyone,

After several visits to various doctors and tests to rule out 'reversible causes' I have been informed that I am probably suffering with SFN.

I am awaiting an appointment for electro conductive tests but the neuroligist informed me that they would either show no abnormalities or inconclusive abnormalities. (Sound like a waste of time to my lay man's mind)

Anyway, a question to all who are unfortunate enough to suffer with this... Do you find that your symptoms, be it tingling, burning, ultra sensitivity to touch or any of the other myriad sensations get worse after eating?

I ask this because, although my symptoms are pretty constant, getting progressively worse as the day goes on, I have noticed, on occassion, that if I don't eat anything for a few hours, i.e. go without breakfast, that my symptoms feel better. However, when I then eat a substantial meal I notice the tingling in my hands and feet get noticeably worse.

Anyone else experience this?

Take care all.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
(male)

jsrail HB User
Re: Small Fibre Neuropathy

Hi Slimlad! I have SFN but I haven't noticed any difference eating or not eating. My gets progressively worse as the day goes on, I think because of the work I do.

The EMG will not show anything if you have SFN is my experience. Yet my neuro doesn't think it necessary to do a bunch of other tests, probably due to insurance issues.

Your thoughts are interesting and I await anyone else's experience such as yours.

Jay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi Slimlad, i would be asking to be tested for gluten sensitivity [or try a gluten free diet] and also pre/ diabetes is another thought [ tested by a 3 hour glucose tolerance test] higher than normal blood glucose levels can aggravate the nerves as well, next big meal you could try a meal that is very high in fibre or foods that are really low GI and see what happens.
A nerve conduction test was totally useless for me, mine was mostly small fibre damage, an EMG can only test for the larger nerves.
best of luck anway
Aussie

Last edited by Aussie100; 09-03-2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added info

Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
(male)

Slimlad HB User

Hi there Aussie,

Thanks for your input. Exactly what is a 3 hour glucose tolerance test? I have had a 'fasting blood test' which I presumed was what was required to test for diabetes. Is this different to what you are suggesting?

I thought gluten sensitivity had symptoms like stomach pains rather than the symptoms I am experiencing. None of the doctors I have seen have even hinted at this.

Best wishes.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi again Slimlad, a fasting glucose test is very differant than the glucose tolerance test, this isn't a good test for testing insulin resistance, i know a full blown diabetic 2 who's fasting glucose levels when tested were very normal & the diabetes went undiagnosed until i told him about the glucose tolerance test, the fasting glucose only measures what your sugars levels come back to after an overnight fast.

With the glucose tolerance test, it measures how your system reacts to a glucose challenge, when your having a glucose tolerance test, at first they draw blood to get your fasting levels then give you a very sugary drink, then draw blood 1 hour after, then the second and third hour, it will show them how well your system reacts.
A non diabetic will handle the sugary drink well, but a prediabetic or diabetic will have elavated glucose levels, depending on the levels will give the appropiate defination, unbelievably there are still doc's around that rely on a fasting glucose test, and you don't have to have full blown diabetes to get nerve damage, some prediabetic people can get the same nerve damage as others that have had diabetes for decades and wind up with nerve damage, we are not all the same.

With the Gluten Sensitivity, [Celiac disease] should be considered in all patients with idiopathic neuropathy even when gastrointestinal symptoms are absent, more commonly presenting with symmetrical sensorimotor neuropathy but there are some that only present with small fibre symptoms.

regards
Aussie

Last edited by Aussie100; 09-05-2008 at 12:05 AM.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
(male)

Merlin1 HB User
Question Re: Small Fibre Neuropathy

Hi to all.

I am a newbie who has just been diagnosed with SFN. I haven't even got to the stage where my neurologist has given me a prescription yet so I don't know what to expect. Basically I would appreciate any guidance as to how this disorder will affect me in the future and what my quality of life will be. I must admit that I am scared of what the future holds because I have always led quite an active life and it is stressing me out that I cannot go for long walks any longer. Also does anybody know where I can get info on the prognosis for this disorder as I want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance

Merlin

Old 09-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
(female)

Gummybarb HB User

Hi Merlin...How were you diagnosed? Biopsy? Symptoms?
What kind of symptoms are you having?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
(male)

Merlin1 HB User

Hi Gummybarb,
Thanks for replying. I was diagnosed by symptoms. Basically I get a constant burning sensation in my feet with "electric shocks" starting in my feet and bolting up my legs. I also get a feeling like I am walking barefoot on gravel whenever I have been standing or walking for more than 5 minutes. I am also starting to get small electric shocks all over my body especially in my hands.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
(female)

Gummybarb HB User

Ask your doctor for medication. There is no reason why you should have to put up with the discomfort that you are experiencing. Often times, with medication, your symptoms will become more tolerable. Everyone experiences SFN differently so try not to compare yourself to others. I am on Neurontin and I think it helps.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Hi Merlin, prognosis really depends on what is causing the nerve damage, if the culprit can be found and rectified then the prognosis can be good.... what tests have you had so far ?
I agree with gumybarb, there are medications that can help with the severity of symptoms.
best wishes
Aussie

Closed Thread