It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

momtobaby1 HB User
Question IV and possible nerve damage in hand?

I had surgery about 3 weeks ago and when the nurse was trying to put in my IV she couldn't get it in right so she took it back out and decided to place it somewhere else on my hand. She ended up using the wrist area nearest my thumb on top of my hand (if that makes any sense). She didn't tell me when she was going to put it in and she just suddenly stuck me and immediatly I got the worst pain in my hand and arm. It felt like knives shooting up my hand and arm. I started crying and she explained that it can be hard to tell where nerves are in that area and she may have struck one. She put some heated blankets on the area which did help but now 3 weeks later I am still getting pain in my hand. It's not horrible pain but it's moderate enough that I rub my hand all the time to try and get rid of it. I'm not sure what to do about this, is it possible they damaged a nerve in my hand? It isn't necessarily permanent if they did, is it? I work in a pharmacy and I use my hands all the time and this seriously causes some issues when I'm trying to do my work.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Nerve damage??? vwick77 Multiple Sclerosis 5 09-03-2009 08:46 PM
Newbie: severe back damage & possible surgery apageor2 Back Problems 1 05-31-2009 06:56 AM
Nerve conduction test,dont know whats wrong.. kevinnader1 Open to All Other Health Topics 62 10-09-2008 09:10 AM
Dealing With New Nerve Damage duttin Multiple Sclerosis 10 09-29-2008 03:49 PM
Radial Nerve Palsy after arm surgery seema Neuropathy 7 08-18-2008 04:05 PM